Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org> on 2004/06/20 03:13:10 UTC

ban on code formatting when release branch is active

Ugh, I hereby ban any use of auto code formatting tools when there's an
active release branch that I have to merge into main.

I also ban cvs header tags inside of files.  We don't use them and they
also make merges tedious.

--
Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>
Apache Software Foundation

How to handle CVS $Revision$ tags in merges (was: ban on code formatting when release branch is active)

Posted by Sebastian Bazley <se...@apache.org>.
Sorry, it has taken a while to find the time to look at this again ...

One solution appears to be to use the -kk flag with cvs update; this will
leave the tags as $Revision$ etc.

However, there is a slight catch, as the current version of CVS does not
handle the -kk flag properly for binary files - CVS ought still to take
notice of -kb, but it does not (this was fixed in CVS 1.12.2; we are using
an 1.11 version. I've asked on infrastructure if there are plans to update.)

To avoid possibly mangling binary files (I assume this will only happen if
the file contains what looks like an expanded CVS tag), one can use the -I
(ignore) flag:

e.g. -I '*.gif' -I '*.jar' -I '*.png' -I '*.jpg' should ignore all the
binary file types at present in the jmeter respository.

Now most of the binary files are outside the src tree, but unfortunately
there are some binary files in it (I think they are all .gif), so one would
still need the -I flag to be sure.

[Note: it appears that the -kk flag can be used against a working copy that
contains the expanded versions; it seems that CVS fetches the two revisions
anew from the repository to do the merge.]

Alternatively, I suppose one could use the cvs -kk flag to create separate
working copies for the head and rel-2_0 branches, and then use a difference
tool to do the comparisons. This might be easier than using CVS, especially
if one has a visual difference tool that can compare directories (I've used
WinMerge and found it quite good, but YMMV. Eclipse could also be used).

BTW, some of the comparison tools (e.g. CSDiff, WinMerge) can cope with
white space changes.

Sebastian

Posted by Michael Stover <ms...@apache.org>.