Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roscinante <ro...@rosc2112.net> on 2006/09/30 03:01:26 UTC

client only??????

OMG WHAT a collosal pain in the ass!!  I just want a freaking client to
download ffmpeg and this is a BITCH that does not even work!!!!  I hate
svn!!!!! :P

How about posting some fucking instructions about building a CLIENT ONLY
that does not need a millions fucking libs!!!!

Re: client only??????

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 1, 2006, at 23:19, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 29, 2006, at 22:01, Roscinante wrote:
>
>> OMG WHAT a collosal pain in the ass!!  I just want a freaking
>> client to download ffmpeg and this is a BITCH that does not even
>> work!!!!  I hate svn!!!!! :P
>>
>> How about posting some fucking instructions about building a
>> CLIENT ONLY that does not need a millions fucking libs!!!!
>
> The svn client has the same dependencies as the servers, which is
> why no client-only download has been made available.
>
> You can disable several of the dependencies if you do not need
> them. For example, if you don't want to serve a BerkeleyDB-based
> repository and merely want to access a remove repository, you can
> use --without-bdb when configuring so that you don't need BerkeleyDB.

Here I meant "remote repository" of course.

> If you don't plan to access http- or https-based repositories, I
> believe you can omit Neon and OpenSSL as well.

Incidentally, your mail server is also a colossal pain in the ass:

> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at smtprelay01.ispgateway.de.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
> addresses.
>
> <ro...@rosc2112.net>:
> 216.222.236.174 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 550 5.0.0 <ro...@rosc2112.net>... Refused
> Blacklisted IP Address(access_db)- We dont accept spam Sam I am.
> Giving up on 216.222.236.174.

Finally, if you're upset about having to install Subversion to
download ffmpeg, why not suggest to the authors of ffmpeg that they
offer a more conventional and less labor-intensive download
alternative, such as snapshots or regular releases. Complaining to
the Subversion users list about the difficulty of installing
Subversion is probably not the correct approach.

Re: client only??????

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 29, 2006, at 22:01, Roscinante wrote:

> OMG WHAT a collosal pain in the ass!!  I just want a freaking
> client to download ffmpeg and this is a BITCH that does not even
> work!!!!  I hate svn!!!!! :P
>
> How about posting some fucking instructions about building a CLIENT
> ONLY that does not need a millions fucking libs!!!!

The svn client has the same dependencies as the servers, which is why
no client-only download has been made available.

You can disable several of the dependencies if you do not need them.
For example, if you don't want to serve a BerkeleyDB-based repository
and merely want to access a remove repository, you can use --without-
bdb when configuring so that you don't need BerkeleyDB. If you don't

Re: client only??????

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.
On Saturday 30 September 2006 05:01, Roscinante wrote:
> OMG WHAT a collosal pain in the ass!!  I just want a freaking client to
> download ffmpeg and this is a BITCH that does not even work!!!!  I hate
> svn!!!!! :P
>
> How about posting some fucking instructions about building a CLIENT ONLY
> that does not need a millions fucking libs!!!!

# apt-get install subversion

'nuff said.

           Visit our website at <http://www.satorlaser.de/>

Diese E-Mail und jede mit dieser E-Mail versandte Datei ist vertraulich und ausschließlich für die Nutzung durch den vorgesehenen Empfänger bestimmt. Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfänger dieser E-Mail sein, informieren Sie bitte den Absender.  Jeder unbefugte Zugriff oder unbefugte Weiterleitung, die Fertigung einer Kopie oder sonstige in diesem Zusammenhang stehende Handlung ist untersagt.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please be so kind to inform the sender. Any other unauthorised access, unauthorised forwarding, copying or other action in this connection at all, is prohibited.

Re: client only??????

Posted by Bobby McNulty <sn...@bellsouth.net>.
Roscinante wrote:
> OMG WHAT a collosal pain in the ass!!  I just want a freaking client
> to download ffmpeg and this is a BITCH that does not even work!!!!  I
> hate svn!!!!! :P
>
> How about posting some fucking instructions about building a CLIENT
> ONLY that does not need a millions fucking libs!!!!

look at the instructions at mplayerhq.
On how to download the svn directory.
svn co svn://domain.com/svn/to/path/of/ffmpeg

BTW it does work here.

Re: client only??????

Posted by William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com>.
> OMG WHAT a collosal pain in the ass!!  I just want a freaking
> client to download ffmpeg and this is a BITCH that does not even
> work!!!!  I hate svn!!!!! :P
>
> How about posting some fucking instructions about building a CLIENT
> ONLY that does not need a millions fucking libs!!!!

Bravo!  I want to congratulate you on a well-written, persuasive
request.  You have simultaneously realized that:

1) Excessive and crude swearing is an effective way to get members of
an all volunteer mailing list to go out of their way to help you.

and

2) Giving almost no useful information about the exact problem you're
experiencing provides people with a challenge, and greatly increases
your odds of getting a useful response back.

You have created the model for everyone to follow.  By all means,
please continue to provide us with such informative and well-written
questions.  It's truly too bad that there aren't more posters to this
mailing list with such eloquence and maturity.

-Bill

Re: client only??????

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 3, 2006, at 09:58, Ted Dennison wrote:

> Roscinante wrote: (profanity filtered)
>
>> How about posting some ******* instructions about building a
>> CLIENT ONLY that does not need a millions ******* libs!!!!
>
> I really hate to agree with such an inappropriate note, but I have
> to admit that I felt the same way when I went through this (until I
> got it done). The instructions really aren't that bad, but man are
> there ever a lot of little extra pieces you have to find, download,
> and get working! In some cases the libs for the libs need libs.
> Because of this you eventually find yourself nested three deep in
> instructions for instructions for instructions. %-P
>
> I'm sure all the libs are useful, and it makes sense to use their
> downloads and their instructions rather than try to include them
> and rewrite the instructions yourself (and have to redo them every
> time they change). So I don't know the solution to this issue. Most
> folks should probably just download a prebuilt binary client and
> not have to worry about it. Perhaps those of us who want to code
> against the subversion API should be smart enough to figure out how
> to do this, but it sure was a pain.

I'm sure that's one of the reasons package managers were invented.
All I had to do to install Subversion on my Mac with MacPorts
installed is type "sudo port install subversion" and Subversion and
all the dependencies got downloaded and built in the right order. I
expect other package managers (fink, portage, apt, rpm) would work in
a similar way.

And for those who don't or can't use package managers, then as you
say the binary packages are quite helpful (and often somewhat client-
only, as requested, since providing all of apache would probably be
annoying and integrating with an existing apache could be difficult).

Re: client only??????

Posted by Ted Dennison <de...@ssd.fsi.com>.

--
T.E.D.   Work     -  mailto:dennison@ssd.fsi.com