Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/07/22 23:17:26 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA Java SDK 2.4.1 rc4

Hi,

I've posted rc-4.  There were 2 minor changes: one to the README to get rid of some tabs, and the other to include the License/Notice that include the BSD license for the SVG Icons in the two projects that use them, so they show up in their Jar files in the META-INF/ directory as the License/Notice files (cas editor, and cas editor ide).

The source and binary zips/tars are staged to
http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/2.4.1SDK-rc4/ <http://people.apache.org/%7Eschor/uima-release-candidates/2.4.1SDK-rc4/>

The eclipse-update-site is
http://people.apache.org/~schor/uima-release-candidates/2.4.1SDK-rc4/eclipse-update-site/uimaj/ <http://people.apache.org/%7Eschor/uima-release-candidates/2.4.1SDK-rc4/eclipse-update-site/uimaj/>

The Maven artifacts are here:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-005/org/apache/uima/

The SVN tags are:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.4.1-rc4/ and

for the eclipse udpate site:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-eclipse-update-site-2.4.1-rc4/

The issues resolved/closed:  81 issues

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.4.1SDK%22%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.4.1SDK%22%20AND%20status%20in%20%28Resolved%2C%20Closed%29>

See http://uima.apache.org/testing-builds.html for suggestions on how to test
release candidates.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ] 0   Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

-Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Java SDK 2.4.1 rc4

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
I tested the new update site with current Ruta trunk in development
mode: works but causes different problems. Here, the vm works, but if
the usage of a new one is deactivated, then again a class is not found:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/uima/jcas/tcas/DocumentAnnotation_Type

I should add a note that ruta-2.0.1 does not work with uimaj-2.4.1 and
will fix the problem for the next ruta release.

+1 to release

Peter

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ri...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
downloaded source-release, checked out tag, checked some LICENSE/NOTICE
files, compared both, built both - OK
installed both features in Eclipse 3.7.2 (Win64bit), tested descriptor
editor - OK
installed Ruta 2.0.1, created project, run simple script - FAILED

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/uima/util/ProcessTrace

I am still investigating the problem, just wanted to mention it before
the vote is closed...

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thanks. I've fixed the typo and broken links... (for next release :-) )

-Marshall

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
+1

I downloaded the source zip to Windows, verified the md5 signature, built
it, installed the build, inspected it and ran the adjustExamplePaths.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
[X] +1 OK to release

Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Release UIMA Java SDK 2.4.1 rc4

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Well, all is well -

Brian Fox responded to my plea for resurrecting the dropped repository, and
found it in "trash" and restored it :-).

So, I'll now proceed, carefully...

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
The "research" reveals:

1) the DocumentAnnotation Jar is the JCas cover classes for the "base" (no extra
features merged) version of this CAS Type.

2) It is not explicitly included into the runtime build

3) It comes in as a Jar, and also into the classpath, because it is a dependency
of uimaj-tools, which is explicitly listed as a dependency, and uimaj-tools has
a transitive dependency on the JCas cover classes.

4) The uimaj-tools dependency on the JCas cover classes is only in one spot -
where the FileSystemCollectionReader class uses it to set the "language" into
the CAS.

5) This is easily avoided - since there's a CAS and JCas method to set the
document language; this method uses the non-JCas interface to the CAS to set
this feature.

I'll update the FileSystemCollectionReader (we actually have two versions of
this same class - one had already been updated) to do this, and then I suspect
the uimaj-ep-runtime will no longer have this transitive dependency, and will no
longer include this jar.

-Marshall

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.