Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Brian McKendrick <bm...@n2bb.com> on 2002/01/31 17:02:04 UTC

Question: Turbine 3 Release schedule/Features

I am in the process of doing diligence on Turbine as a platform for my company's thin client applications.  I have not found much information on Turbine 3's release schedule or many of it's real improvements.  I will find it difficult to recommend porting our apps once to Turbine 2.x, and then again to Turbine 3.

Thanks in advance for any info.

bhm

RE: Question: Turbine 3 Release schedule/Features

Posted by Gary Bisaga <ga...@maximus.com>.
I mostly support what Eric writes. Although our situation is different, we
are just in the throes of deciding whether to use Turbine, and many of the
same reasons lean in its favor. I would add to all that Eric wrote one nice
feature: the Turbine developers have done their design with close attention
to maintaining interface/implementation splits. There are many things about
the standard "as-downloaded" Turbine web application that we need to change
because of business requirements, sometimes with very non-trivial changes.
However, in most cases all we need to do is subclass one of the
implementations; at worst, we just need to rewrite an implementation but
maintain the interface. Nice. This is a far cry from a framework where all
accesses are done directly to a class implementation.

That having been said, I cannot say that I agree with the push (so to speak)
toward using the Pull model. My experience has shown that, at least in many
situations, a pure Pull model is harder to work with. I hasten to say that I
also don't advocate a pure Push model as demonstrated by the sample Turbine
app. Rather an "in-between" model where an intermediate registry maps
between a "page" and the associated classes and templates. Our user
interface designers don't see java code:  they see the registry and the
templates, that's all. Yes, sometimes java developers have to be involved in
making changes, but for some things they ought to be involved. Changes to
things like page flow, content, and layout can still be made without Java
developer help, by modifications to registries.

Thus, the user interface people own the templates, the java coders own the
java code, and the registries are sort of an in-between, jointly owned by
both. A large project using this model I worked on (6 user interface people,
15 programmers)worked fine; in fact the problems we had were when people put
code (pull model, I note) into the JSPs.

I'm not saying the Pull model never works, just that I certainly hope that
the Push model doesn't become passe or otherwise non-supported in future
versions (3.x?) of Turbine. In fact, the freedom to do Push or Pull is
exactly the kind of reason I advocate Turbine; I seems to me (a relatively
new Turbine aficionado) a Pull mandate would be very non-Turbine-like.

Thanks for listening.

<>< gary

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.