Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mario Luoni <lu...@gol.com> on 2002/03/01 08:38:08 UTC

svg data are prepended by 54 "random" bytes

hi!

i'm using apache server 1.3.20 for a web application. i want to send an svg
graphics using an nph cgi script, but it doesn't work. the perl script is
very simple, it outputs the http header plus scg graphics data read from a
file called "web.svg".

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
#Filename: nph-send-svg.cgi

$|=1;  # commenting this out doesn't make a difference

print "HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n";
print "Content-type: image/svg\r\n\r\n";  # required header

open ($img,"< web.svg") || die;
while(<$img>) {
    print;
}
close($img);

when i tried to figure out why it didn't work, i found out (using ethereal),
that somewhere between the perl script and the client (i guess it's at the
server) 54 to me meaningless bytes are /pre/pended to the data proper before
being transmitted to the client.

concretely, the data actually sent to the client looks like this:

<00 90 99 4b 5c 48 ... <another 42 "random" bytes>...19 20 12 97 00
00>HTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\nContent-type: image/svg\r\n....

seeing as the beginning of the data received by the client looks pretty
binary, a dialog pops up for me to choose if i want to execute the data or
to save it to the hard disk. of course i want neither of both, i want the
graphics to be displayed.

does anybody have an idea why this happens and how i can avoid it?

thanks in advance,

-mario

Re: svg data are prepended by 54 "random" bytes

Posted by Mario Luoni <lu...@gol.com>.
sorry! i misinterpreted the ethereal output. the 54 bytes are of course the
protocol headers.

still, the svg graphics still don't work. if somebody has an idea looking at
the script below, i'd be grateful (and yes, the svg plugin has been
installed in the client).

-mario