Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Cupbearer <jc...@inforeverse.com> on 2011/08/18 07:13:41 UTC

Stable Linux Release

I've now had several false starts on different versions of Linux.  openSUSE
wouldn't load up on my older dell server box because it didn't like my raid
controller and I've now been through CentOS 5.5, 5.6 and 6.0.  I really
thought I was just about to get there.  I get SolR to load up however the
basic repositories for php aren't loading up the right libraries to connect
to SolR.  I think it's the php-mysqlnd that isn't getting loaded that SolR
needs but I can't be for sure.

I have everything working on a xampp windows development box but I'm coming
up with a big 0 on the Linux server.  Anyone have any ideas on a stable
simple release of Linux to use, or do I just need to learn how to compile my
own php and keep my fingers crossed and hope I don't have to ever upgrade.

Thanks for any input on this.  I've been working on this project for quite a
while and I was sooooo close just to have that part fail.

Jerry Craig
Cupbearer

-----

Cupbearer
Jerry E. Craig, Jr.

Re: Stable Linux Release

Posted by Markus Jelsma <ma...@openindex.io>.
Gora is right, this is not the right place for Linux or PHP questions for
whatever distro. Solr will run happily on ANY Linux box with a bit of RAM,
diskspace and CPU time and a Java 5 JVM and a servlet container.

So far you haven't asked any Solr specific question or problem description.

RE: Stable Linux Release

Posted by Cupbearer <jc...@inforeverse.com>.
Just for posterity sake:

I was correct in that it had to do with the fsockopen() function in php.  However, the issue was in SELinux and not in any of my other configuration.  Even when I tried to disable SELinux to test if it was a firewall issue apparently whatever was set in the Boolean’s gets loaded anyways because changing:

setsebool -P httpd_can_network_connect 1

made everything work.  You can mark this resolved.  It was weird though that I never saw anything like that in any of the installation tutorials or information about Solr.  It came from random notes I had to use to get ftp to work correctly as I was combing over what I had installed.

-----

Cupbearer
Jerry E. Craig, Jr.

Re: Stable Linux Release

Posted by Glen Newton <gl...@gmail.com>.
Please take this discussion off list.

Thanks,
Glen

--

-

RE: Stable Linux Release

Posted by Cupbearer <jc...@inforeverse.com>.
Since this doesn’t seem to be something that the community is interested in answering could they at least point me to some sort of documentation somewhere or the appropriate forum to ask this question?  Or is everyone just compiling php from source if they have made it this far and decided to use Solr for their search engine?  I just check the ius repo for php53 on my centos56 box and it installs 5.3.3 so still not up to 5.3.6 and it’s still missing the mysqlnd switch?  Php.net says that the native directory should be standard in 5.3.x but centos doesn’t seem to think it’s necessary, could the lack of this be my problem?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Cupbearer <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=3265906&i=0>> wrote:
> What are the Prerequite libraries required to get Solr to work in Php.  Php.net has libxml2 and libcurlx I think (off the top of my head)  I have those installed correctly and I can get to my Solr/admin page from a browser just fine and ping and all of those things just fine from within the browser.
[...]

In that case, it is clearly not a Solr issue per se. It is not clear from your
description how you are trying to access Solr from PHP: Are you using
one of the existing PHP/Solr interfaces, or simply making calls to the
Solr Web interface?

> Gora, that is the version of php that is running on my box, 5.3.2 from your google link.  Xampp has 5.3.6 running.  The only difference that I can see from a comparison of the two  phpinfo() files is the linux box is missing mysqlnd (mysql native drivers) which I think is needed for fsock connections.  (but I’m not sure, my google reading)   The problem is that to get mysqlnd into my php I would have to compile it that way from scratch as there doesn’t seem to be a way to add it after the fact.  I would hate to get all the way down the road of compiling php from source just to have that not be the problem.  There doesn’t seem to be a repo for 5.3.6 on centos 6 either, the ius repos only have 5.3.6 for centos 5.6 which is using old libxml2 and libcurl libraries when I checked those.

Not very sure, but I think that the OS packages should include everything
needed, and in general, it is not a good idea to mix and match different
versions of libraries. I am not a PHP developer, but think that mysqlnd is
not absolutely required for accessing mysql from PHP. In any case, interfacing
PHP with mysql is a separate problem that is definitely off-topic here. You
could try asking on a PHP/mysql list.

> So, back to the question, what are the prerequisites for getting php and solr to talk nice to each other?
[...]

Sorry, do not know the answer to that, other than there are several PHP
interfaces to Solr available: Please try searching Google for "PHP Solr".

Regards,
Gora

________________________________
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Stable-Linux-Release-tp3263876p3265906.html

-----

Cupbearer
Jerry E. Craig, Jr.

Re: Stable Linux Release

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.

RE: Stable Linux Release

Posted by Cupbearer <jc...@inforeverse.com>.
What are the Prerequite libraries required to get Solr to work in Php.  Php.net has libxml2 and libcurlx I think (off the top of my head)  I have those installed correctly and I can get to my Solr/admin page from a browser just fine and ping and all of those things just fine from within the browser.  But, when I attempt this from within my app and php I’m getting nothing.  It works in a windows xampp development environment so I know it’s not my php code.

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.

RE: Stable Linux Release

Posted by Cupbearer <jc...@inforeverse.com>.
I’m not sure where a better place would be.  The problems I seem to be having revolve around having the right prerequisites installed in my Apache and Php installs to get this done.  I’m unsure that a Generic Linux forum would know and understand the Solr prerequisites better than the Solr community.  It’s simple things like some of the libraries in my centos 5.6 install ended up being a few versions shy of the prereq’s and then now my Centos 6.0 install has all that but the php version installed from the base repository is missing mysqlnd which I think is needed for the connections to solr to work correctly in php.

I think maybe what I really should of asked is what are the Prerequisites to be installed to use Solr with Php on an Apache Web server.  Because the regular yum install xxxx isn’t getting the job done.  Then if a regular distribution is going to come off the shelf like that then I might try that vs trying to compile a server from scratch.

Thanks,

-----

Cupbearer
Jerry E. Craig, Jr.

Re: Stable Linux Release

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Cupbearer <jc...@inforeverse.com> wrote:
> I've now had several false starts on different versions of Linux.  openSUSE
> wouldn't load up on my older dell server box because it didn't like my raid
> controller and I've now been through CentOS 5.5, 5.6 and 6.0.
[...]

This is really the wrong forum for this kind of a question: You are
probably best off asking on a Linux-specific mailing list.

Having said that, we happily run Solr on Ubuntu, and Debian
servers. You will likely find Ubuntu easy to set up, though we
prefer to use Debian in production. CentOS has also worked
for us. From your description of the issues, it might well be
that you need to become familiar with the packaging system
used by the OS, or find someone to help you with the same.

Regards,
Gora