Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "Robert M. Mather" <ro...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/12 19:49:19 UTC

What OSGi version does Felix 5.0.0 implement?

In the online documentation, the Felix Framework is listed as "An
implementation of the OSGi R5 core framework.", but in the manifest the
Bundle-Description says "OSGi R4 framework". Which one is correct?

On a more general note, I know that the OSGi interfaces are backwards
compatible, but is it best practice to use standard libraries matching the
core framework version (ie use cmpn R5 with osgi core R5) or just use the
latest standard libraries available?

Thanks,

Robert

Re: What OSGi version does Felix 5.0.0 implement?

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
On 12 June 2015 at 21:06, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> wrote:

>> In the online documentation, the Felix Framework is listed as "An
>> implementation of the OSGi R5 core framework.", but in the manifest the
>> Bundle-Description says "OSGi R4 framework". Which one is correct?
>>

> R6 ;-)

Well - spotted :)
I have updated this in the framework [1] and also on the website where
I could find it. Let me know if there are any other places where this
is wrong.

David

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-4927

Re: What OSGi version does Felix 5.0.0 implement?

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

> In the online documentation, the Felix Framework is listed as "An
> implementation of the OSGi R5 core framework.", but in the manifest the
> Bundle-Description says "OSGi R4 framework". Which one is correct?

R6 ;-)

> On a more general note, I know that the OSGi interfaces are backwards
> compatible, but is it best practice to use standard libraries matching the
> core framework version (ie use cmpn R5 with osgi core R5) or just use the
> latest standard libraries available?

If you want your bundle to be more flexible, you should use the minimum
version which is required when importing a package.