Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com> on 2003/11/07 10:53:06 UTC

clue for repos corruption?

Hi all out there!

It could be I found a clue for the constant repos corruption here. It
seems possible that changed timestamps without files being
actually changed causes memory not being released and furtheron
leads to the desaster:

Starting once more with the notoriously corrupted repository from
which I dumpfiltered all binary files, and two working copies, all on
my local machine, both accessing the repos through http, things
went fine for some time. Later I added GIF and JPG files step by
step. Then troubles began again.

But only with *one* working copy! The other working copy
continued operating fine, commits & updates would slightly raise
memory consumption and then fall back to the level before. But
that other working copy always raises memory usage to the ceiling
and corrupts the repos. And even after SVN has terminated with
the timeout error memory consumption goes up and up and up ...

Finally I managed to complete update on a minor directory before
the memory ceiling was reached. But then memory was *not*
released. Apache keeps every bit it has collected during update.
Only if stopped this memory is released.

Checking out a further working copy was no problem, it operates
fine, just as wc2. The three working copies are just about 2
revisions apart, perhaps 15-20 files different/new.

There is, however, one difference that may give a clue:

Some files have the timestamp changed due to uploading to the
webserver. It should be less than 50 files, but I can't say exactly.
We discussed this before. With dial up having a working copy on
the webserver is no alternative, nor is using export as it would
result in complete upload every time. Someone suggested rsynch,
however, I cannot setup an rsynch on the server and as far as I
understood clients for Windows are more or less experimental.
Anyway, having computed checksums over dial up does not sound
different from having a working copy online. The tool I currently use
compares filesize and timestamp and if at least one is different it
considers the files being different. After upload it sets the
timestamp of the local file to that on the server. That's why I get
timestamps changed in the working copy.

I won't say this could explain everything. But it seems to explain
why troubles were nearly guaranteed when the repos was on
another machine - it is always my working copy that gets
timestamps changed. There still might be an underlying memory
problem, but not with "normal" SVN operation for else corruption
should happen with the other local working copies, too.

Best regards

Jan Hendrik

---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     Capitalism is not an 'ism.'
     It is closer to being the opposite of an 'ism,'
     because it is simply the freedom of ordinary people
     to make whatever economic transactions they can mutually agree to.
                -- Dr. Thomas Sowell

Re: clue for repos corruption?

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Concerning Re: clue for repos corruption?
John Peacock wrote on 7 Nov 2003, 6:59, at least in part:

> FWIW, rsync on Win32 works just fine (using Cygwin tools at least).
> We have a massive set of files which we use rsync daily to update (and
> I am talking thousands of files of various sizes).  We aren't using a
> dialup line, but it is over a WAN link (fractional T1) and is much
> faster than using FTP or drive maps.

John,
thanks once more for the input. At second glance I got some rsync
packages that might not be too difficult to set up. Unfortunately our
hoster does not allow running programs and as far as I have found
out yet they do not offer rsync as a service on their own, but I am
still confirming this with a technician. It is obvious that rsync draws
a good deal of speed from running on both machines. But as it
seems I have to wait and hope that SVN some day updates
checksums if timestamps have changed. And it is good to know
that SVN at least reads my email - for how else it should have
known and started corruption on the other repos just after posting?
<G>

Best regards

Jan Hendrik

---------------------------------------

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Concerning Re: clue for repos corruption?
John Peacock wrote on 7 Nov 2003, 6:59, at least in part:

> FWIW, rsync on Win32 works just fine (using Cygwin tools at least).
> We have a massive set of files which we use rsync daily to update (and
> I am talking thousands of files of various sizes).  We aren't using a
> dialup line, but it is over a WAN link (fractional T1) and is much
> faster than using FTP or drive maps.

John,

thank you for your comment. I'll look at that again, though I have
only FTP access. It was a university site describing setup of rsync
for their student's private pages and the admin requested Linux for
mentioned reasons. However, I have the feeling Cygwin would be
more than I could bear currently ... this SVN thing has drained me
quite a lot - much work and trouble for weeks and no result, except
that it would be fine if only thing would start running fine.

Best regards

Jan Hendrik

---------------------------------------
Freedom quote:

     American history has proven when people live in freedom
     the vast majority of sovereign individuals believe in,
     and practice, the golden rule.
                -- Rick Gaber

Re: clue for repos corruption?

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Jan Hendrik wrote:
> result in complete upload every time. Someone suggested rsynch,
> however, I cannot setup an rsynch on the server and as far as I
> understood clients for Windows are more or less experimental.

FWIW, rsync on Win32 works just fine (using Cygwin tools at least).  We have a
massive set of files which we use rsync daily to update (and I am talking
thousands of files of various sizes).  We aren't using a dialup line, but it is
over a WAN link (fractional T1) and is much faster than using FTP or drive maps.

You would have to install Cygwin and the tools you need to connect to the server
(we use ssh as a service).  It's not too hard, but you do have to install and
run the one service.

HTH

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: clue for repos corruption?

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Sorry for having bothered you with that stuff again. For two days it
was as described, just after I had posted that report working copy 2
joined the corruption game. Think we can finally close these
threads till the brandnew P10 with autogenerating terabytes of
RAM comes out. Or till Linux becomes something non-techies can
setup and use (what I expect never to happen, it will always take
programming and making and compiling before, stuff only people
with a university degree understand). One or more of
SVN/Apache/Berkeley are not meant to run in the Win2K
environment here.

With appropriate sarcasm - Jan Hendrik

Concerning clue for repos corruption?

Freedom quote: