Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jonathan Revusky <jo...@revusky.com> on 2003/07/01 11:12:16 UTC

Re: Using FM to implement a denial of service attack on an emailing list

Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Brian McCallister wrote:
>
>> My apologies to Jonathan and Velocity-User. That email was intended as
>> private correspondence.
>

> No problem Brian... I similarly thought to send him a polite private
> email,

Serge, I don't know what "polite private email" you're talking about.
AFAICS, the email below is the only one you could possibly be referring
to. Is this your idea of politeness? "Shut the xxxxxx up!" and so on????

-----------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 19:51:17 -0400
From: Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>
To:  jon@revusky.com
Subject: Re: [OT]Re: DVSL status? (or got another XSL replacement?)

Jonathan Revusky wrote:
 >>> Serge Knystautas was making noises along these lines -- though he
 >>> didn't express it in terms as crass.
 >>

 >> He never said ANYTHING like that. He said something more along the lines
 >> of (along with the standard "but I'm already using it" which you
 >> consistently ignore) "it's not ASF, I'm less likely to use it."
 >

 > He did say precisely that.
 >

 >> Big difference.
 >

 > Look, I really think you should let Serge (and anybody else) speak for
 > himself.

Jonathan,

With all due respect, shut the (*&( up.  *I* have said multiple times I
did not say what you keep quoting, anyone can read the message in
context and see this, and yet you still repeat this drivel.

Would you please stop mentioning my name?  I've succumbed to the
realization that you are not worth discussing points, and would ask you
to stop misquoting me.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

----------------------

 > but now he's just sending emails cursing me out directly.

Projection.

> As you concluded, ignoring him is probably the only/best course of action.

Just one question, Serge. This business about my misquoting you. You
wrote a message here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/velocity-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg10099.html

in which you wrote:

"I've been an apache committer for 4+ years and am unlikely to adopt a
non-apache tool when there is a very well known, if comfortably mature,
project within Apache already."

It seemed quite clear to me from what you said above that you were
opting for Velocity very largely because it came from apache, and
really, anybody would infer that you would opt for it over a competing
tool like FM -- even if the latter was technically superior, and more
actively developed and maintained.

In fact, earlier in the self-same message, you mentioned that the lack
of ongoing Velocity development did give you pause. If we make the
conceptual experiment that Velocity was a non-apache project, just
something on sourceforge, and nobody had committed any code for a year,
I would bet very strongly, that you would not use it. There was a very
strong subtext in the messsage that Velocity being part of apache was a
key factor in your decision.

Now, don't anybody get this wrong. Serge most definitely can use
whatever tool he wants, for whatever arbitrary reasons he wants. That's
not what we're discssing. What is at issue here is that Serge is
claiming that I misquoted him.

I do not believe that to be the case. Also, very frankly, it is clear
that Serge has something of a tendency to say things that are not quite
true -- for example, this business about sending me a "polite, private
email". You can see the "polite" message he sent me quoted above.

Regards,

Jonathan Revusky
FreeMarker-Velocity comparison page, http://freemarker.org/fmVsVel.html