Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com> on 2007/02/20 23:29:22 UTC

Re: Can we distribute the sun mail and activation jar files in our distribution?

Rick,

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 10:35, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 February 2007 10:15, Rick McGuire wrote:
> > Geronimo has implementations of activation-1.1 and mail-1.4.  I was the
> > author of both.
>
> Oh.   Cool.   Last I had checked (early Dec), they were in trunk, but not
> yet available on the maven repositories.  (not released)   I see they are
> there now.   And annotation.   Good.  I'll see if CXF can build/run with
> them.

OK.  I managed to get CXF to use the geronimo specs versions of annotation,
servlet, mail, and activation.    I had some problems with Mail.   The
Geronimo Specs version is definitely not a 100% drop in replacement for Sun's
1.4 versions.   The InternetHeaders object from Sun is much more tolerant
of "out of spec" streams (example: unix EOL style) than Geronimo.   We had a
couple tests that failed, but it's because of bad test data.   As soon as I
did a unix2dos on the test data, the tests passed.

Anyway, I'm committing the changes to CXF now.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Can we distribute the sun mail and activation jar files in our distribution?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <da...@iona.com>.
Dan,

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 17:52, Dan Diephouse wrote:
> Any one know if any implementations send ^M in attachment headers? I could
> see this causing issues if so.
> - Dan

The issue is actually the reverse.   The spec says the lines should be CR/LF
terminated.   If something sends something that is only LF terminated, Sun's
implementation will parse it fine.   Geronimo's won't.  Thus, you need to
find implementations that DON'T put the CR(^M)'s.

That said, some of our own code in the Attachment processing doesn't
work "correctly" if it's not CR/LF.   It just didn't cause a test failure.
There's at least one place where we "break" on CR, then just blindly
ins.read() the next char assuming it's the LF.   (FYI: that's exactly how the
Geronimo specs version of mail does it as well)  I think Sun's impl must
ignore the CR (skip over it) and breaks on the LF (or breaks on the LF
and "trim()"s the result).

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Can we distribute the sun mail and activation jar files in our distribution?

Posted by Dan Diephouse <da...@envoisolutions.com>.

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions