Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Mi...@telekurs.de on 2003/12/15 15:25:31 UTC

Re: German translation mod_include (part 2, again with English [NOTE]s)

> Anweisung einer Programmiersprache. Die Testbedingung wird ausgewertet
und
> ist das Ergebnis wahr, wird der Text bis zum n&auml;chsten
<code>elif</code>-,
> eingebaut.</p>

This is the place where omitting the "wenn" and "dann" from these German
sentences
does the biggest damage, because leaving them in place would implicitly
explain the
use of the "if" and "else" keywords (like it did in the English version).

> Regul&auml;re Ausdr&uuml;cke werden mit der

I would like to have "Engine" translated here.

[NOTE]
But I would like the English version to use "library" instead of "engine"
as well, which
would make translation easier here.

> bindet am st&auml;rksten. Die folgenden Aneisungen sind
gleichbedeutend:</p>

Typo: "Aneisungen" => "Anweisungen"

> dann darf sie keine Leerzeichen oder Tabulatoren enthalten,

I would like to have the original notion "whitespace" in this line
(untranslated), and the
explanation in round brackets like in the English original:
"dann darf sie kein whitespace (Leerzeichen bzw. Tabulator) enthalten,

> <li>Ausdr&uuml;cke werden von links nach rechts ausgewertet.</li>
> und <code>||</code>) werden, falls m&ouml;glich, verk&uuml;rzt.

"short circuited" is not the same as "shortened". "verkürzt" sounds as if
the semantics
of the expression will be changed during evaluation, which is not the case,
as the
description below explains correctly.

> einmal kompilieren. F&uuml;r jeden untersuchten Ausdruck erhalten Sie
dann
> Informationen zu den Elementen, der Reihenfolge und das Resultat der
> Auswertung, das mit der Ausgabe an den Client gesendet wird.</p>

Small deviation, big difference: "das" => "die" and "wird" => "werden".
This debug information is sent to the client as well, so it will be part of
the output;
this isn't a thing you would want to do in a productive environment.

[NOTE]
This is noteworthy because normally Apache would write debugging log
informations
like these into some log files and not display them to some visitor... so
beware!
This might even be a security issue, as it could make server paths and
other secret
informations accessible to the user.

> <description>Die Zeichenfolge, die angezeigt wird, wenn eine nicht
> gesetzte Variable signalisiert wird.</description>

Where does the "signalisiert" come from? I would write "wenn der Inhalt
einer
nicht gesetzten Variablen mit der Anweisung 'echo' ausgegeben werden soll".

> <module>mod_include</module> anzeigt, wenn eine Variable nicht gesetzt
wurde.</p>

Nope. It doesn't matter whether a variable is set or not in other
situations (you may
compare an undefined variable and not raise this exception!); only if an
undefined
variable is _displayed using the 'echo' command_, then this definition is
used. So:
"wenn der Inhalt einer nicht gesetzten Variable mit 'echo' ausgegeben
werden soll".

> F&uuml;r den praktischen Einsatz

Nope, but "für den produktiven Einsatz".
Using the standard error behaviour isn't uncommon, but you might not want
to show
your errors to your customers, and in this case you can 'hide' the error
message by
making it an HTML comment. (Note that this won't 'hide' the error to
someone who
is able to use the "view source" feature of his/her browser...)

> kann die Standardfehlermeldung beispielsweise in
> <code>&quot;&lt;!-- Error --&gt;&quot;</code>
> ge&auml;ndert werden, damit die Meldung dem Benutzer nicht angezeigt
wird.</p>

I would prefer to translate "Error" to "Fehler" here, to make clear that
this is not
a syntax element of the SSI language but just an arbitrary HTML comment.

> <module>mod_include</module> ein zu verarbeitendes
> Include-Element signalisiert.</p>

I would prefer to replace "signalisiert" by "an dem mod_include ein ...
Element erkennt".
("signal" sounds like event handling, but we are talking about parsing
here.)

> <directive module="mod_include">SSIEndTag</directive> k&ouml;nnen auch
> SSI-Anweisungen benutzt werden:</p>

Nope, but "können SSI-Anweisungen so verwendet werden, wie das in dem
nachfolgenden
Beispiel der Fall ist".
Actually, you may use this to redefine the complete SSI syntax and make SSI
directives
look like directives of another language. The example made them look like
PHP directives
(which isn't really made clear by the English text, but PHP users would
know that).

> <example><title>SSI-Anweisungen mit wechselnden Start- und
End-Tags</title>

Nope, but "mit alternativen Start- und End-Tags" (those that have been
specified by
the appropriate directives and now differ from the Apache default values).

> <description>Konfiguration des Datumsformats</description>
More precisely: "Konfiguration des Formats zur _Anzeige_ von Datumswerten".

> Der <var>Format-String</var> entspricht der Funktion
<code>strftime(3)</code>
> der C-Standardbibliothek.</p>

Nope. The string cannot "correspond" to a function - it has to be specified
according
to the requirements of this function: "Der Format-String muß so angegeben
werden,
wie dies für einen Parameterwert der strftime(3)-Funktion der
C-Standardbibliothek
der Fall wäre."

[NOTE]
I would love to see a hyperlink pointing to the corresponding man page
here; not all
Apache admins are C hackers.

What would this comma be good for?

> <description>SSI-Direktiven in Dateien mit gesetztem Execute-Bit werden
> untersucht.</description>

"untersucht" => "ausgewertet".

> Folgende Werte k&ouml;nnen &uuml;bergeben werden:</p>

"übergeben" => "angegeben". (this is a directive, not a function.)

> User-Execute-Bit werden als vom Server untersuchtes HTML-Dokument
behandelt.</dd>

"untersuchtes" => "auszuwertendes". (future tense as well.)

> Ist es gesetzt, wird das <code>Last-modified</code>-Datum der
> zur&uuml;ckgesenden Datei als Datum der letzten &Auml;nderung gesetzt.

Typo: "gesenden" => "gesendeten"

> Group-Execute-Bit f&uuml;r alle SSI-Skripte nicht gesetzt ist, die
> eine <code>#include</code>-Anweisung f&uuml;r CGI enthalten oder auf
> andere Weise bei jeder Anfrage unterschiedliche Ausgaben liefern
> (oder die sich m&ouml;glicherweise nach Anfragen &auml;ndern
> k&ouml;nnen).</p>

The English version is more explicit:
"Die Verwendung der Option "full" ist nicht ratsam, es sei denn, Sie sind
in der
Lage, sicherzustellen (!), daß das group-execute Bits für alle SSI-Skripte,
welche
CGI-Skripte einbinden oder auf andere Weise bei jedem Zugriff wechselnde
Ausgaben liefern, nicht gesetzt ist."

This option turns on a dangerous mechanism that might cause _lots_ of your
dynamic content to be sent with HTTP headers that indicate this content to
be
cacheable; you should be very cautious and know exactly what you are doing
here.

[NOTE]
This might even be worth a "warning" instead of a "note".

Regards, Michael