Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ju...@Piater.name on 2008/01/18 16:57:24 UTC

Re: TrueType CID fonts

Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2008
13:26:16 +0100:

> would you mind doing the same test again with FOP Trunk

This did not change anything, except that this works now:

> About the subset indicator: That may have been fixed by the changes
> mentioned above.
> On 18.01.2008 13:09:15 Justus-bulk wrote:
>> pdffonts on Fop output:
>>
>> name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
>> ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
>> Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no      13  0
>> 8E6c57STIXGeneral                    CID TrueType      yes no  yes     17  0
>> 4E6b8aBitstreamVeraSerif             CID TrueType      yes no  yes     23  0
>> 3E6b73LinuxLibertine                 CID TrueType      yes no  yes     35  0
>> 5E6be2DejaVuSerif                    CID TrueType      yes no  yes     29  0
>> 2E6b2dcmr10                          CID TrueType      yes no  yes     41  0
>> 6E6bfeLiberationSerif                CID TrueType      yes no  yes     47  0
>> 1E6ac4FreeSerif                      CID TrueType      yes no  yes     53  0
>> 7E6c44GentiumBasic                   CID TrueType      yes no  yes     59  0

name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
Helvetica                            Type 1            no  no  no      14  0
EAAAAH+STIXGeneral                   CID TrueType      yes yes yes     18  0
EAAAAD+BitstreamVeraSerif-Roman      CID TrueType      yes yes yes     24  0
EAAAAC+LinLibertine                  CID TrueType      yes yes yes     36  0
EAAAAE+DejaVuSerif                   CID TrueType      yes yes yes     30  0
EAAAAB+cmr10                         CID TrueType      yes yes yes     42  0
EAAAAF+LiberationSerif               CID TrueType      yes yes yes     48  0
EAAAAA+FreeSerif                     CID TrueType      yes yes yes     54  0
EAAAAG+GentiumBasic                  CID TrueType      yes yes yes     60  0

Re: TrueType CID fonts

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 27.01.2008 19:18:33 Justus wrote:
> Jeremias,
>
> Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2008
> 18:02:44 +0100:
>
> > I think except for GhostView all other viewers use Poppler for PDF
> > interpretation, right? Any other ideas?
>
> As far as I can tell, only evince uses Poppler (which is based on the
> xpdf code), but kpdf doesn't.
>
> However, all of them use FreeType, including GhostScript. Could it be
> a FreeType issue?

I have no idea. I don't know anything about FreeType and how it's used.

> > If someone from one of the viewers that fail could give us a hint in
> > case we do something wrong, that would really be helpful. I guess
> > either the GhostScript team or the Poppler team would have to be
> > approached. Justus, would you do that?
>
> Will do, but I'll wait for your response concerning FreeType first.
>
> Thanks,
> Justus

Jeremias Maerki

Re: TrueType CID fonts

Posted by Ju...@Piater.name.
Jeremias,

Re: TrueType CID fonts

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Ok, that means at least one thing is fixed.

Indeed, I can confirm that even with FOP Trunk, GhostScript/GhostView
cannot process a PDF that contains the FreeSerif font.

I looked into the PDF file generated by OpenOffice. They seem to use a
trick for TrueType subsetting. They declare the font to be symbolic and
basically redefine a completely new encoding. The mapping of the glyph
indexes to the Unicode values is done using a ToUnicode table. The
limitation (AFAIK) is that they cannot embed more than 256 glyphs that
way. Using CID keyed fonts, FOP doesn't have that limitation. I've
checked what OpenOffice does if there are more than 256 glyphs: they
simply generate a new subset font. In Acrobat's font list, you then get
"ArialUnicodeMS" (for example) twice.

I haven't seen anything where I'd have to say that FOP is wrong. FOP
simply has a different approach. If someone from one of the viewers that
fail could give us a hint in case we do something wrong, that would
really be helpful. I guess either the GhostScript team or the Poppler
team would have to be approached. Justus, would you do that? Am I making
sense in the first place? Maybe I'm totally misguided here. Anyway,
given that only some of the fonts don't work could indicate a bug in
either the fonts (maybe all were generated using the same font tool) or
the PDF libraries. I think except for GhostView all other viewers use