Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Fabio Gavilondo <fa...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/18 13:20:34 UTC

How to contribute an optional Ant task (ccfindmerge)?

Hello Ant contributers,

The ClearCase optional tasks (
http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/clearcase.html) don't offer
support for merge operations.

I have written a 'CCFindmerge' task that inherits from
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.clearcase.ClearCase, pretty much in
the same vain as the other cc tasks.

Performing a 'findmerge' from your Ant build file is quite useful in
situations where a view/branch needs to be up-to-date with another
view/branch (e.g. the mainline) before the build can proceed. If a merge is
necessary, this command will fail the build (i.e. throw a BuildException).

I thought that maybe other Ant/ClearCase users out there could use this task
too, so I would like to contribute CCFindmerge to the Apache Ant codebase.
However, I am not quite sure about how to go about it (sorry, it's my first
time here).

I have read the instructions at http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html,
but they're quite generic.

I have also checked out the code base from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk.

So what would be the next step?

* mail the code somewhere for approval?
* check in the new task into svn?
* create a patch via svn diff and send it in? where? to this mailing list?

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Fabio

Re: How to contribute an optional Ant task (ccfindmerge)?

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
> I thought that maybe other Ant/ClearCase users out there could use this task
> too, so I would like to contribute CCFindmerge to the Apache Ant codebase.
> However, I am not quite sure about how to go about it (sorry, it's my first
> time here).

No worries.

> I have read the instructions at http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html,
> but they're quite generic.
>
> I have also checked out the code base from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk.
>
> So what would be the next step?
>
> * mail the code somewhere for approval?
> * check in the new task into svn?
> * create a patch via svn diff and send it in? where? to this mailing list?

You can svn diff and then mail the patch to this mailing list.  You
could open a bugzilla report (enhancement) and attach the patch
created by svn diff to that report.

The only problem I can see is that I don't think many of us have
access to ClearCase so testing is going to be a problem.

Thanks
Kev