Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Brandon M. Wagner" <br...@tripletech.net> on 2014/07/16 14:00:54 UTC

Tomcat 7.0.54 Slow Unpack and Deploy

I'm having an issue with Tomcat 7.0.54 on a Windows Server 2008 machine
(8GB of RAM, Dual AMD Opteron 8 core CPUs 2.0Ghz) where the .WAR file is
taking 45 minutes to an hour to unpack and deploy. I can unpack the same
.WAR file on my development machine (Windows 7, 16GB of RAM, Intel i7
870 2.93Ghz) in less than 2 minutes.

Something troubling I'm noticing on the production machine is that the
CPU usage will hover at around 13%. I've tried setting affinity and
priority, but still Tomcat is only using the 13% of the CPU.

Some more information about the production machine:
     -It is disconnected from internet (only intranet access)
     -It has been rebuilt because of the slow deployment issue (was on
physical box with server 2003 same specs, now on VMWare instance with 2008)

Information about the .WAR file:
     - .WAR is about 28MB
     - expands to 260MB

RE: Tomcat 7.0.54 Slow Unpack and Deploy

Posted by Dale Ogilvie <Da...@trimble.com>.
Process explorer, select columns, Process I/O, delta total bytes might show the story.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Christopher Schultz wrote:

- -1 CPU
+1 I/O

Re: Tomcat 7.0.54 Slow Unpack and Deploy

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

David,

On 7/16/14, 8:10 AM, David kerber wrote:
> On 7/16/2014 8:00 AM, Brandon M. Wagner wrote:
>> I'm having an issue with Tomcat 7.0.54 on a Windows Server 2008
>> machine (8GB of RAM, Dual AMD Opteron 8 core CPUs 2.0Ghz) where
>> the .WAR file is taking 45 minutes to an hour to unpack and
>> deploy. I can unpack the same .WAR file on my development machine
>> (Windows 7, 16GB of RAM, Intel i7 870 2.93Ghz) in less than 2
>> minutes.
>>
>> Something troubling I'm noticing on the production machine is
>> that the CPU usage will hover at around 13%. I've tried setting
>> affinity and priority, but still Tomcat is only using the 13% of
>> the CPU.
>
> So it's using all of one core (1/8=12.5%).  I don't think TC will
> multi-thread the deployment, so your CPU speed will be a bigger
> factor than the number of CPUs, and your dev machine has a nearly
> 50% higher clock speed.

I'd be surprised if unzipping a WAR file was a CPU-bound process on
today's hardware: the CPU is waaaay faster than the disk is.

> What is the difference in your HD speed?  Does your dev machine
> have a much faster HD than the production server?  That could make
> a big difference.

+1

Network share?

> Do some digging to see what resource the production server is
> limiting on; I'm guessing CPU and HD I/O.

- -1 CPU
+1 I/O

- -chris

Re: Tomcat 7.0.54 Slow Unpack and Deploy

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Brandon M. Wagner <br...@tripletech.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm having an issue with Tomcat 7.0.54 on a Windows Server 2008 machine
>> (8GB of RAM, Dual AMD Opteron 8 core CPUs 2.0Ghz) where the .WAR file is
>> taking 45 minutes to an hour to unpack and deploy. I can unpack the same
>> .WAR file on my development machine (Windows 7, 16GB of RAM, Intel i7 870
>> 2.93Ghz) in less than 2 minutes.
>>
>> Something troubling I'm noticing on the production machine is that the CPU
>> usage will hover at around 13%. I've tried setting affinity and priority,
>> but still Tomcat is only using the 13% of the CPU.
>>
>> Some more information about the production machine:
>>     -It is disconnected from internet (only intranet access)
>>     -It has been rebuilt because of the slow deployment issue (was on
>> physical box with server 2003 same specs, now on VMWare instance with 2008)
>>
>> Information about the .WAR file:
>>     - .WAR is about 28MB
>>     - expands to 260MB
>>

> A couple suggestions...
>
> 1.) While you're waiting for the app to deploy take some thread dumps.  I'd
> take several groups of two or three thread dumps, with 10 - 15 seconds
> between each thread dump and maybe 5 minutes between each group.  This
> should give you an idea as to what happening on the server at various
> points in time.  Look for long running threads, which could indicate a
> problem.  More info here.
>

> http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F
>    http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_read_a_Java_thread_dump_.3F

+1

How do you measure the timing?

Do you have antivirus scanner on that machine? (They love to inspect
zip files, and for a big file that may take notable time).

Also,
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo/FasterStartUp

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: Tomcat 7.0.54 Slow Unpack and Deploy

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.
wrote:

> I'm having an issue with Tomcat 7.0.54 on a Windows Server 2008 machine
> (8GB of RAM, Dual AMD Opteron 8 core CPUs 2.0Ghz) where the .WAR file is
> taking 45 minutes to an hour to unpack and deploy. I can unpack the same
> .WAR file on my development machine (Windows 7, 16GB of RAM, Intel i7 870
> 2.93Ghz) in less than 2 minutes.
>
> Something troubling I'm noticing on the production machine is that the CPU
> usage will hover at around 13%. I've tried setting affinity and priority,
> but still Tomcat is only using the 13% of the CPU.
>
> Some more information about the production machine:
>     -It is disconnected from internet (only intranet access)
>     -It has been rebuilt because of the slow deployment issue (was on
> physical box with server 2003 same specs, now on VMWare instance with 2008)
>
> Information about the .WAR file:
>     - .WAR is about 28MB
>     - expands to 260MB

A couple suggestions...

1.) While you're waiting for the app to deploy take some thread dumps.  I'd
take several groups of two or three thread dumps, with 10 - 15 seconds
between each thread dump and maybe 5 minutes between each group.  This
should give you an idea as to what happening on the server at various
points in time.  Look for long running threads, which could indicate a
problem.  More info here.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_obtain_a_thread_dump_of_my_running_webapp_.3F
   http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_do_I_read_a_Java_thread_dump_.3F

2.) You could deploy an exploded WAR directory instead of your WAR file.
 To do this, you'd just want to extract the files manually and then move
them into the "webapps" directory on your server.  That would allow you to
separate the actual expansion from the time it takes to deploy and start
your application.

Dan

Re: Tomcat 7.0.54 Slow Unpack and Deploy

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 7/16/2014 8:00 AM, Brandon M. Wagner wrote:
> I'm having an issue with Tomcat 7.0.54 on a Windows Server 2008 machine
> (8GB of RAM, Dual AMD Opteron 8 core CPUs 2.0Ghz) where the .WAR file is
> taking 45 minutes to an hour to unpack and deploy. I can unpack the same
> .WAR file on my development machine (Windows 7, 16GB of RAM, Intel i7
> 870 2.93Ghz) in less than 2 minutes.
>
> Something troubling I'm noticing on the production machine is that the
> CPU usage will hover at around 13%. I've tried setting affinity and
> priority, but still Tomcat is only using the 13% of the CPU.
>
> Some more information about the production machine:
>      -It is disconnected from internet (only intranet access)
>      -It has been rebuilt because of the slow deployment issue (was on
> physical box with server 2003 same specs, now on VMWare instance with 2008)

Your production server being Virtual definitely won't help its speed either.