Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David van der Staak <da...@ict2mkb.nl> on 2010/12/15 12:55:55 UTC

Widgets and screens

Hello,

I'm trying to create a functionality which would allow a store owner to dynamically edit their website via a WYSIWYG like editor.
The editor itself is nearly complete, but I'm unsure how to save the changes.

The thing I thought of first, is try to interpret the files myself, present them in a way the user can edit them graphically, then store the files again. However, to make the changes effective a run-install seems to be needed or at the very least a restart, which is less then desirable.
I know the installation of those files is done at some point, and I was hoping to be able to trigger that again or perhaps call it only on the files that have been edited.

Could someone perhaps give me a few pointers on where to look?
Specifically, i'm editing the .ftl and .xml files which are related to the looks and feel of the ecommerce store.

If it's possible to let ofbiz give me an interpretation of the files that'd even be  better. I'll have to adjust my editor ofcourse, but that's manageable.

Regards

David van der Staak

Re: Widgets and screens

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Take a look at the portlets feature.

-Adrian

Re: Widgets and screens

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
take the normal layout as it is now and change the CSS.
you can make components invisible even though they are still there.
so you can have all the components load and put the location off screen.
then when they select them bring them in view and make them visible.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
David van der Staak sent the following on 12/16/2010 5:09 AM:

RE: Widgets and screens

Re: Widgets and screens

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Widgets and screens

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: Widgets and screens

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
In OFBiz .xml and .ftl files don't generally go into the database. If you are saving them and not seeing anything updated in a currently running OFBiz instance then it is probably due to cache settings (ie the caches are set to never expire for production mode, instead of the default for development mode which is to expire every 10 seconds), and those are in the cache.properties file, and you can see the current settings and such in the WebTools webapp in the Cache Maintenance screen.

In any case, if you could be more specific about what you are doing and what the system is doing that is different from what you expect, that might be helpful for those available to give feedback.

-David