Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Fabrizio detto Mario <jf...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/15 13:39:23 UTC

Master Node in Hadoop Map/Reduce Implementation.

Hello Hadoop community,
I read about Hadoop framework (
http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.16.3/mapred_tutorial.html) this
phrase:
"The Map-Reduce framework consists of a single master JobTracker and one
slave TaskTracker per cluster-node..."

Is The Job Tracker (Master Node) unique and static for my cluster? Is The
Job Tracker the same for each map/reduce run?

If the response is positive, hadoop is different from map/reduce Google
implementation. In Google Implementation the Master node is "one copies of
program" (See MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Clusters).

Thanks.

--
Fabrizio

Re: Master Node in Hadoop Map/Reduce Implementation.

Posted by Amar Kamat <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Amar Kamat wrote:
> Fabrizio detto Mario wrote:
>> Hello Hadoop community,
>> I read about Hadoop framework (
>> http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.16.3/mapred_tutorial.html) this
>> phrase:
>> "The Map-Reduce framework consists of a single master JobTracker and one
>> slave TaskTracker per cluster-node..."
>>
>> Is The Job Tracker (Master Node) unique and static for my cluster? Is
>> The
>> Job Tracker the same for each map/reduce run?
>>

> The job-tracker process controls certain task-trackers processes.
> These task-trackers can be on same machine or different machines. One
> task-tracker is controlled by a single job-tracker. You could have
> multiple map-reduce clusters (each with different job-trackers) on a
> same physical cluster. So here are the answers
> 1) The job-tracker is unique for a map-reduce cluster (logical)
> consisting of a set of trackers. There can be multiple such
> job-trackers each controlling different set of trackers, possibly in
> the same physical cluster.
> 2) The job-tracker is same for all jobs that run on the same set of
> trackers.
> It is possible to have multiple task-trackers running simultaneously
> on a same machine (differentiated by ports) and hence each tracker can
> be under different job-trackers and hence one machine
"and hence each tracker can be under different job-trackers .."
should be
"and hence each node can be under different job-trackers .."
Amar

Posted by Amar Kamat <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Fabrizio detto Mario wrote:
> Hello Hadoop community,
> I read about Hadoop framework (
> http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.16.3/mapred_tutorial.html) this
> phrase:
> "The Map-Reduce framework consists of a single master JobTracker and one
> slave TaskTracker per cluster-node..."
>
> Is The Job Tracker (Master Node) unique and static for my cluster? Is The
> Job Tracker the same for each map/reduce run?

The job-tracker process controls certain task-trackers processes. These
task-trackers can be on same machine or different machines. One
task-tracker is controlled by a single job-tracker. You could have
multiple map-reduce clusters (each with different job-trackers) on a
same physical cluster. So here are the answers
1) The job-tracker is unique for a map-reduce cluster (logical)
consisting of a set of trackers. There can be multiple such job-trackers
each controlling different set of trackers, possibly in the same
physical cluster.
2) The job-tracker is same for all jobs that run on the same set of
trackers.
It is possible to have multiple task-trackers running simultaneously on
a same machine (differentiated by ports) and hence each tracker can be
under different job-trackers and hence one machine can be under multiple
logical clusters.
Amar