Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Kasper Nielsen <ka...@kav.dk> on 2001/07/18 20:35:10 UTC

Gathering ideas for the next TDK.

Ok, here is the chance to influence how the TDK for the next version of
Turbine will look like.
Just shoot..

- Kasper

Re: Gathering ideas for the next TDK.

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> writes:

> The example I'm planning is a bookstore that will go
> along with a book coming out later in the fall.

Looking forward to it!

> Sample
> apps are relatively small and it definitely wouldn't hurt
> to include several. But the primary one will also include
> tests for a running turbine application and be a comprehensive
> example of everything possible in turbine.

Additional sample apps certainly don't hurt, but I would most like to
see effort concentrated on a single, [mostly] comprehensive sample app
(perhaps the bookstore you mention should be the one).  Having one
really good example is a great way to give new users a leg up.

Dan

Re: Gathering ideas for the next TDK.

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Wednesday, July 25, 2001, at 11:32 PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Patch away!

enclosed in the attached tarbar are diffs for the following files
     FluxGroupList.vm.diff
     FluxPermissionList.vm.diff
     FluxRoleList.vm.diff
     FluxUserForm.vm.diff
     GlobalMacros.vm.diff

Adding a macro for hidden form fields to GlobalMacros.vm

In Flux, if you try to change the name of a permission,
role, or group, or change the username of a user, an
exception is thrown, namely
o.a.t.services.security.util.UnknownEntityException.

Correcting the templates to not expose these input fields.

-Eric

<Attachment missing>

Re: Gathering ideas for the next TDK.

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Wednesday, July 25, 2001, at 11:32  PM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> Patch away!

okay!
-Eric

Re: Gathering ideas for the next TDK.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 7/25/01 11:38 PM, "Eric Dobbs" <er...@dobbse.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, July 18, 2001, at 12:35 PM, Kasper Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Ok, here is the chance to influence how the TDK for the next version of
>> Turbine will look like.
>> Just shoot..
>
> Just now testing with tdk-3.0a3.
>
> First, let me suggest a couple changes to the existing
> sample application.
>
> In Flux, if you try to change the name of a permission,
> role, or group, or change the username of a user, an
> exception is thrown, namely
> o.a.t.services.security.util.UnknownEntityException.
>
> Please change the fields on the edit forms for
> permission, role, group and users to display the name
> (or username) and not offer an input text field to the
> user.  (Don't let the user even try to change these.)
>
> In the upload example, display the uploaded files below
> the upload form with hyperlinks to download them.
> Maybe offer actions to rename or delete the files.

Patch away!

> Thinking a little bigger, I would like to see a
> light-weight publishing system.  There would be three
> roles: admin, editor, and contributor.  Contributors
> would be allowed to add articles or images.  Editors
> would be allowed to add, or modify the content from the
> contributors and approve them for release.  Guests to
> the site would see only those stories that had been
> released by editors.  A slightly extended version would
> also allow stories to be organized into categories, or
> scheduled to be released on a specific date (to show
> off the scheduler service 8^).

The example I'm planning is a bookstore that will go
along with a book coming out later in the fall. Sample
apps are relatively small and it definitely wouldn't hurt
to include several. But the primary one will also include
tests for a running turbine application and be a comprehensive
example of everything possible in turbine. Right now
I'm focusing of 3.0 and refactoring, but I've got
a designer and ui person lined up to work on the sample
application so I'm hoping it will be a complete, well
thought out example when it's done. But go crazy patching
what's there as I agree it's not in very good shape.

> -Eric

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: Gathering ideas for the next TDK.

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.

Posted by "Randall G. Alley" <ir...@bellsouth.net>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 7/19/01 3:08 PM, "Randall G. Alley" <ir...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > - A working upload/download example.
>
> Works :-)
>
> > - A security example (flux !)
>
> Works :-)

You da man.

> Have you tried the alphas? Both of these work.

Not yet, I've been waiting for the dust to settle and doing real client
work with 2.1.
I'll try the latest and greatest as soon as I can.

Thanks for all the great work Jason !

Randy

Re: Gathering ideas for the next TDK.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 7/19/01 3:08 PM, "Randall G. Alley" <ir...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> - A working upload/download example.

Works :-)

> - A security example (flux !)

Works :-)

Posted by "Randall G. Alley" <ir...@bellsouth.net>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
On 7/19/01 1:53 PM, "Warner Onstine" <wa...@warneronstine.com> wrote:

> I would love to see some intake stuff covered (at least in part of the
> sample app) to make it easier for new users. Did I mention that I would be
> willing to help create the sample app =).

We are in #turbine at share.whichever.com:6667 and discussing making
the TDK easy to build so that you can work on the sample app easily.

The process will be documented as well as a new nifty build system
that will make assembling the TDK simple. Stay tuned :-)

Posted by Warner Onstine <wa...@warneronstine.com>.
I would love to see some intake stuff covered (at least in part of the
sample app) to make it easier for new users. Did I mention that I would be
willing to help create the sample app =).

-warner

Posted by Keng Wong <ke...@verizon.net>.
[...]

an even  more widely use of Turbine (since this download-&-install TDK is a