Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "S. Brüseke - proIO GmbH" <s....@proio.com> on 2016/02/22 09:21:13 UTC

glibc vulnerable (CVE-2015-7547)

Hi,

is the latest system vm template vulnerable to CVE-2015-7547 (https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2015-7547)?
I cannot find anything about it in the mailinglist and/or CS page.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards,

Swen

- proIO GmbH -
Geschäftsführer: Swen Brüseke
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Frankfurt am Main

USt-IdNr. DE 267 075 918
Registergericht: Frankfurt am Main - HRB 86239

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben,
Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify
the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: glibc vulnerable (CVE-2015-7547)

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@gmail.com>.
We (ACS security team) are aware of the glibc vulnerability, and yes a vulnerable version exists in the current supported version of the system VM image. The question though, which I’ve been trying to figure out is does the code running on the secondary storage VM, console proxy, or virtual router actually call the vulnerable code, and do so in a manner which a malicious party could leverage the vulnerability on the VM in a usable way.

Basically a malicious user would have to compromise the DNS resolver that the System VM uses for DNS resolution, and then get System VM to execute (basically) a reverse DNS lookup to that compromised DNS server. I don’t think the chance of this is significant.

All that said, best move right now is probably to update glibc if you can do so.

In the future, I’d ask if you have questions about security-related issues with CloudStack, to contact security@cloudstack.apache.org. Once we have a solid feel on this in the coming days, we’ll put out a blog post and/or update.

John

Posted by Stephan Seitz <s....@secretresearchfacility.com>.