Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Greg Zoller <gz...@hotmail.com> on 2000/12/15 06:55:16 UTC

Schemas Not Catching Errors?

Hello.  I'm trying to get Xerces to validate using XML schema.
I've turned on the validation feature in my 15-line Java program
that does nothing but parse the doc and report exceptions.

Here's my xsd:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<schema>
        <ElementType name="description" content="textOnly"
           model="closed"/>
        <ElementType name="role" content="eltOnly" model="closed">
                <element type="description" minOccurs="1"
                   maxOccurs="1"/>
                <AttributeType name="name" />
                <attribute type="name" />
        </ElementType>
        <element type="role" />
</schema>

And my XML file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Top xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema-instance"
        xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation='schema.xsd' >

        <role name="hey">
        </role>
</Top>

This should give me an error because the <role> tag is missing
the required <description> tag, but my parser happily accepts this
with no problems.

Just as a sanity check I played with the included personnel-schema.xml
example.  In theory at least 1 <person> element is required in the
<personnel> element, but if I delete all the <person> elements my
parser is still happy!

Anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
Greg

Re: Schemas Not Catching Errors?

Posted by Eric Ye <er...@locus.apache.org>.
You need to have a errorhandler and register it on the parser, for detail,
please refer to sax.SAXCount sample under samples directory.

Eric Ye
IBM-Cupertino.