Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Robert Bourdeau <bo...@ciesin.columbia.edu> on 2002/07/10 20:32:24 UTC

SVG problems with

I'm experimenting with SVG using Cocoon. Things work fine, until I
attempt to utilize the <use> element, at which point I get an
inexplicable error. Here's the set up:

Sitemap fragment:
---------------------------------
<map:pipelines>
 <map:pipeline>
  <map:match pattern="svg1.xml">
     <map:generate src="svg1.xml"/>
     <map:serialize type="svg2jpeg" />
  </map:match>
 </map:pipeline>
</map:pipelines>

A simple XML document 'svg1.xml':
---------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.0//EN"
                     "http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/DTD/svg10.dtd">

<svg xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
  <defs>
    <path id="bowl"
          d="M 150 110 A 40 30 0 1 0 230 110"
          style="stroke: gray; fill: none;" />
  </defs>

  <title>cat</title>
  <desc>My Evolving SVG Version of a Cat</desc>
  <circle cx="70" cy="95" r="50" style="stroke: black; fill: yellow;"/>
  <text x="150" y="60" style="text-anchor: start">My wonderful little circle</text>

  <path id="bowl"
        d="M 150 110 A 40 30 0 1 0 230 110"
        style="stroke: gray; fill: none;" />

  <use  xlink:href="#bowl" />
</svg>

-----------------------------------
If I remove the <use> element above, the graphic gets generated as expected.
However, if left in, I get the following Cocoon error:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.: org.apache.batik.transcoder.TranscoderException: null
Enclosed Exception:
http://xml.apache.org:-1
The URI '' specified on the element <use> is invalid

All I can think of is that Cocoon <use> has a different syntax, not using
xlink attributes.

This example comes pretty much straight out of the O'Reilly SVG Essentials
text, and I don't understand what is going wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much.

--- Bob

RE: SVG problems with

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Robert Bourdeau [mailto:bourdeau@ciesin.columbia.edu]
>
> Ok, from what I can determine with my limited knowledge,
> Batik currently fully supports "static" use of <use>, but
> "dynamic" use of <use> is not supported but will be supported
> in Batik 1.5 beta 4.
>
> I have Cocoon 2.0.2-dev
> I'm not entirely sure which version of Batik this would include.
>
> Is there some document that describes what is included in a given
> "binary" release of Cocoon? Which version of the various integrated
> packages? E.g., a configuration document?

All jar files shipped with cocoon have version number in their name.

Other resources are:
  cocoon/lib/jars.xml
    (source dist of Cocoon 2.0.3+)
  cocoon/src/documentation/xdocs/installing/jars.xml
    (source dist, Cocoon 2.0.2-)
  http://localhost:8080/cocoon/documentation/installing/jars.xml
    (from the memory, url may be a bit wrong)
  http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/jars.html

Vadim

RE: SVG problems with

Posted by Robert Bourdeau <bo...@ciesin.columbia.edu>.