Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/10 19:32:23 UTC

Dojo stuff from sandbox to tomahawk

Hi devs,

I want to promote the dojo stuff from sandbox to tomahawk as I need
this on a project I am working on. Do we have to vote on this? As it
is not a component strictly speaking... BTW, Werner, do you think that
the dojo code is stable enough to move it to tomahawk?

Regards,

Bruno

Re: Dojo stuff from sandbox to tomahawk

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Sean Schofield schrieb:
> So are we basically redistributing the javascript stuff from Dojo?
>
> Sean

Yes the javascript stuff and some foundation classes and one tag which
only do a sane initialization of the system.
But as I said I think it is too early. I would have rather seen 1-2
actual components using the foundation classes to know if everything
works out as expected.

Re: Dojo stuff from sandbox to tomahawk

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Ok sounds good.

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
You are absolutely right.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
By the way,

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
+1 absolutely

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
my +1 - obviously.

If there's someone objecting, you can always use the prototype way of

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Ah excellent...

Thanks for the info, since we are all new to dojo, any info
which extends the knowledge can help
(and any component as well ;-) )

Posted by Laurie Harper <la...@holoweb.net>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Aha!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Hi Mike I can only give pseudo code here,
first of all, in an actual JSF page I would like to see
code like this

<s:richEdit id="editor"/>

but we cannot have that for now:

if you want to see the rich editor in action in a jsf page and if you
want to pass the parameter as well, use a normal textArea
(not the div because the div is not triggered on submit)

<t:inputTextarea id="myId" forceId="true" />

and then set a javascript in a verbatim area with following entries
(we forget the internal dojo id for now, since you wont need it here)
<f:verbatim>
  <script type="text/javascript">
  var editorArgs = {
  		    items: ["textGroup", "blockGroup", "justifyGroup", "colorGroup",
  "listGroup", "indentGroup", "linkGroup"]
  };
  var editor = dojo.widget.fromScript("Editor", editorArgs,
                         dojo.byId("myId"));

</script>

</f:verbatim>

that should work more or less

what happens here

first you define a text area in a form, so that we trigger the normal
jsf submits etc...

secondly dojo now alters the text area into a full blown rich text editor
  via the fromScript function (the first argument specifies the widget
the text area has to be altered to, the second one the arguments passed
down to the area, the third argument is the id of the original control)

now if you submit the altered control recongnizes that passes
the content into the original control (which still is lingering there
hidden) and the cycle goes through as expected.

the reason why this code does not give you a second editor while
your code does is following line:

 > <h:inputTextarea id="contentHtmlEditArea"
 >   styleClass="dojo-Editor"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
well there are usually 2-3 ways in dojo as far as I could find out
how to pass the dojo params.
First of all the way you described it, but that breaks (x)html validation.
Except for a few components there usually is another way:

here is an excerpt from the docs:
http://dojotoolkit.org/docs/rich_text.html

var editorArgs = {
     items: ["bold", "italic", "underline", "strikethrough"]
};
var editor = dojo.widget.fromScript("Editor", editorArgs,
                                     dojo.byId("contentNode"));

I found out that this breaks the getWidgetFromId method, unless
you also specify an id in the args
a valid statement with an identifyable id would look like that:

the origianl contentNode would look like

<input type="textArea" id="contentNode"/>

or

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var editorArgs = {
     id:"theinternaldojoid",
     items: ["bold", "italic", "underline", "strikethrough"]
};
var editor = dojo.widget.fromScript("Editor", editorArgs,
                                     dojo.byId("contentNode"));

//-->
</script>
or something very similar to it (I worked originally around the problem
by keepding the editor reference.

But I think you get the idea....

This works with most components, but some do not work (the
debug console for instance, but that one is important only
for development, so I did not really care when I implemented
the binding)

Werner

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Werner,

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Matthias Wessendorf schrieb:
>> Btw. the Sandbox demo should not become
>> a best practice, this is just a kickstart for component devs,
>
> Right, but it shows how you can *integrate* dojo to your pofa (plain
> old faces app ;))
>
> since all you need is the <s:dojoInitializer/> and the rest of the
> page is straight forward faces standard
>
> btw. http://tinyurl.com/cp9jm
>
>> normal users in the future should not care about the dojoInitializer
>> at all, but for now it is the best we have ;-)
>
> sound very promissing ;)

You will run into limitations this way.
[...]

would work but would not be possible in pure jsf due to the problem that
the dojoType and the other attributes cannot be provided by the person
who does the page layouting.

Re: Dojo stuff from sandbox to tomahawk

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
> Btw. the Sandbox demo should not become
> a best practice, this is just a kickstart for component devs,

Right, but it shows how you can *integrate* dojo to your pofa (plain
old faces app ;))

since all you need is the <s:dojoInitializer/> and the rest of the
page is straight forward faces standard

btw. http://tinyurl.com/cp9jm

> normal users in the future should not care about the dojoInitializer
> at all, but for now it is the best we have ;-)

sound very promissing ;)

-Matthias

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Ok I just sent Alex the news...

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <mw...@gmail.com>.
he he.

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
I think its amusing that he asked permission. He obviously doesn't read the
Bile Blog.

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Posted by Bruno Aranda <br...@gmail.com>.