Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Otto Fowler <ot...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/09 03:46:43 UTC

Stability of the Record API

I’m seeing
https://github.com/apache/nifi/blob/master/nifi-commons/nifi-record/src/main/java/org/apache/nifi/serialization/RecordReader.java#L34
being quoted as a reason to NOT build Record based processors but instead
stick with the original Processor api.

Yet, on list and on hipchat and in pr’s I’ve seen the Record approach being
promoted heavily.

Is this comment still correct?  Is the API not considered stable?
Would the NiFi project recommend building externally hosted NiFi components
using the Record API?

ottO

Re: Stability of the Record API

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
I don't think there are any stability issues with the record API, it
is definitely recommended to use the record approach where it makes
sense.

That comment was probably put there on the first release and never
removed, and now it has been 4-5 releases later.

As a general comment to APIs, the record stuff is part of a controller
service API, and not part of the framework API, so I do think there is
more freedom to change the API on minor releases if needed, however I
don't see any major changes to the record stuff happening.

Posted by Mike Thomsen <mi...@gmail.com>.