Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2008/02/15 12:27:41 UTC

HttpCore/HttpClient 4 in Google Android

Folks,

I looks like Google has chosen to upgrade Android's HTTP stack from old
HttpClient 3.x to HttpCore/HttpClient 4

http://code.google.com/android/reference/org/apache/http/package-summary.html
http://code.google.com/android/reference/org/apache/http/client/package-summary.html

To me this represents a major endorsement of the new platform and can
potentially massively expand our user base. It's just a bloody great
news! At the same time we are very likely to have more pressure to keep
API changes to the minimum. Oh well. You can't have it all, can you?

Oleg

Re: HttpCore/HttpClient 4 in Google Android

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I looks like Google has chosen to upgrade Android's HTTP stack from old
> HttpClient 3.x to HttpCore/HttpClient 4
>
> http://code.google.com/android/reference/org/apache/http/package-summary.html
> http://code.google.com/android/reference/org/apache/http/client/package-summary.html
>
> To me this represents a major endorsement of the new platform and can
> potentially massively expand our user base. It's just a bloody great
> news! At the same time we are very likely to have more pressure to keep
> API changes to the minimum. Oh well. You can't have it all, can you?
>
> Oleg

Really, really cool!

As to API changes: if they can upgrade from 3 to 4, they will certainly
be able to follow slight API changes between Alpha2 and final. There are
no real Android Phones yet. So they have still some grace time I guess.

Odi

--
[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/

Re: HttpCore/HttpClient 4 in Google Android

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I looks like Google has chosen to upgrade Android's HTTP stack from old
> HttpClient 3.x to HttpCore/HttpClient 4
>
> http://code.google.com/android/reference/org/apache/http/package-summary.html
> http://code.google.com/android/reference/org/apache/http/client/package-summary.html
>
> To me this represents a major endorsement of the new platform and can
> potentially massively expand our user base. It's just a bloody great
> news!

Yes it is :-) Oh how we would have hated to see the old code in
there for years and years to come...

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I looks like Google has chosen to upgrade Android's HTTP stack from old
> HttpClient 3.x to HttpCore/HttpClient 4
>

> http://code.google.com/android/reference/org/apache/http/package-summary.html
>
> http://code.google.com/android/reference/org/apache/http/client/package-summary.html
>
> To me this represents a major endorsement of the new platform and can
> potentially massively expand our user base. It's just a bloody great
> news! At the same time we are very likely to have more pressure to keep
> API changes to the minimum. Oh well. You can't have it all, can you?
>
> Oleg

Great work guys, that really is cool!

   ...ant