Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/02 05:25:38 UTC

Re: Multiple Indexes and relevance ranking question

The score of a document has no scale: it only has meaning against other
score in the same query.

Solr does not rank these documents correctly. Without sharing the TF/DF
information across the shards, it cannot.

If the shards each have "a lot" of the same kind of document, this
problem averages out. That is, the "statistical fingerprint" across the
shards is similar enough that each index gives the same numerical range.
Yes, this is hand-wavey, and we don't have a measuring tool that
verifies this assertion.

Lance