Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> on 2012/07/30 01:46:39 UTC

Archiving the AOO 3.4.0

Hi at all

I working at the moment on the Archive for the AOO 3.4.0. The big
question is: Is it enough to archive only the langpacks and a en-US
Version? Same Question also for older Versions. We would save a load of
disk space at Apache. And for my point of view, if sameone realy want a
old localized version he/she can install en-US and a langpack. What's
your option?

Greetings Raphael

Re: Archiving the AOO 3.4.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 July 2012 06:44, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> Raphael Bircher wrote:
>>
>> I working at the moment on the Archive for the AOO 3.4.0. The big
>> question is: Is it enough to archive only the langpacks and a en-US
>> Version? Same Question also for older Versions. We would save a load of
>> disk space at Apache.
>

> It would be better to archive everything we distributed officially. I know
> there is a lot of redundancy, but this is due to the fact that we are
> redundant also in our official distribution.

AFAIK, it is a requirement to archive everything that has been released.

Note that everything under  /www/www.apache.org/dist/ [i.e. 0] is
automatically copied to the ASF archive server [1].
AFAICT all the source and binary releases for 3.4.0 are present on the
ASF systems; so it looks to me as though this has already happened
automatically.

Check the files under [1] to see.

[0] http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/ - ASF backup mirror
[0] http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/ - ASF archives

Re: Archiving the AOO 3.4.0

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 30.07.12 16:00, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>>
>>> It would be better to archive everything we distributed officially. I know
>>> there is a lot of redundancy, but this is due to the fact that we are
>>> redundant also in our official distribution.
>>>
>> +1.  Archive whatever we release.  If we want to solve the size issue
>> then we need to change how we package OpenOffice releases.  That will
>> require some engineering work.  If it was easy then someone would have
>> already done it.
> But also the old archive is not compleete. We archive the full version
> for a while, and then we reduce it to the english version only
>
> This time it's "only" about 16 GB. but I'm not happy with the solution.

If you have some more ideas this would be a good topic for an
ApacheCon presentation ;-)

-Rob

Re: Archiving the AOO 3.4.0

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30 July 2012 15:14, Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 30.07.12 16:00, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>>
>>> It would be better to archive everything we distributed officially. I know
>>> there is a lot of redundancy, but this is due to the fact that we are
>>> redundant also in our official distribution.
>>>
>> +1.  Archive whatever we release.  If we want to solve the size issue
>> then we need to change how we package OpenOffice releases.  That will
>> require some engineering work.  If it was easy then someone would have
>> already done it.
> But also the old archive is not compleete.

If you are referring to versions created before OO joined the ASF, I
don't think we need to archive those.

> We archive the full version
> for a while, and then we reduce it to the english version only

AFAIK, we never delete archive files.

Re: Archiving the AOO 3.4.0

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 04:14:06PM +0200, Raphael Bircher wrote:
> This time it's "only" about 16 GB. but I'm not happy with the solution.

next time it'll be:

  6G    /home/arielch/public_html/packages/r1366353/linux_x86
6.4G    /home/arielch/public_html/packages/r1366353/linux_x86-64
2.7G    /home/jsc/public_html/developer-snapshots/r1366353/windows
906M    /home/jsc/public_html/developer-snapshots/r1366353/src
3.2G    /home/jsc/public_html/developer-snapshots/r1366353/macos/

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina