Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Claassen <ma...@donnell.com> on 2012/04/18 16:34:49 UTC

web.xml and schema location

Back in Tomcat 5, we had the problem with tomcat trying to access java.sun.com.  Lots of our servers are behind firewalls, so this
caused an error in the log.  We realized one way to fix this was just to remove the schemaLocation attribute from the web.xml files.

Below is the top of the main web.xml in Tomcat 7.  I did a snoop, and it didn't seem to try to access java.sun.com this time.  Has
this been changed at some point?  Or did I just have some error in my snoop?

Thanks,
Mark

<web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
         xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_3_0.xsd"
         version="3.0">

Re: web.xml and schema location

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 18 Apr 2012, at 16:55, Mark Claassen <ma...@donnell.com> wrote:

>> 1. Do you have validation enabled?
>> E.g. with
>> org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE=true
>
> I don't think so (but that was a long time ago).  Anyway, I am glad to know that the default config does not try to contact anything
> and I can leave by web.xml as is.

It is a fair question though and I wonder if Oracle's reduction in
support for sun.com domains is producing a large number of DNS failres
and 404s for some server admin somewhere.

Posted by Mark Claassen <ma...@donnell.com>.
> 1. Do you have validation enabled?
> E.g. with
> org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE=true

I don't think so (but that was a long time ago).  Anyway, I am glad to know that the default config does not try to contact anything
and I can leave by web.xml as is.

Thanks!

> Back in Tomcat 5, we had the problem with tomcat trying to access
> java.sun.com.  Lots of our servers are behind firewalls, so this caused an error in the log.  We realized one way to fix this was
just to remove the schemaLocation attribute from the web.xml files.

> Below is the top of the main web.xml in Tomcat 7.  I did a snoop, and
> it didn't seem to try to access java.sun.com this time.  Has this been changed at some point?  Or did I just have some error in my
snoop?

1. Do you have validation enabled?
E.g. with
org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE=true

2. Tomcat has all the necessary schemas bundled (servlet-api.jar). I do not know why it was contacting external resource in your
case.

> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
>         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>         xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_3_0.xsd"
>         version="3.0">

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: web.xml and schema location

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2012/4/18 Mark Claassen <ma...@donnell.com>:
> Back in Tomcat 5, we had the problem with tomcat trying to access java.sun.com.  Lots of our servers are behind firewalls, so this
> caused an error in the log.  We realized one way to fix this was just to remove the schemaLocation attribute from the web.xml files.
>
> Below is the top of the main web.xml in Tomcat 7.  I did a snoop, and it didn't seem to try to access java.sun.com this time.  Has
> this been changed at some point?  Or did I just have some error in my snoop?

1. Do you have validation enabled?
E.g. with
org.apache.catalina.STRICT_SERVLET_COMPLIANCE=true

2. Tomcat has all the necessary schemas bundled (servlet-api.jar). I
do not know why it was contacting external resource in your case.

> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee"
>         xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>         xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_3_0.xsd"
>         version="3.0">