Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/07/07 02:21:40 UTC

Re: HIGH_SLACK_LINE on Solaris

> On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:
>
> > Do I understand correctly that HIGH_SLACK_LINE needs to be defined
> > for Solaris?
>
> If you wish to use more than so many virtual domains.  The point of using
> it is that Solaris <v2.6 only allows 255 fds in a FILE structure, so
> HIGH_SLACK_LINE tries to keep other fds above 255 to leave room for FILE
> ones.
>
> Has no impact if you don't use lots of fds.

The same applies to sockets as well doesn't it? When more than 256
server processes running?

Re: HIGH_SLACK_LINE on Solaris

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> > On Sun, 6 Jul 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:
> >
> > > Do I understand correctly that HIGH_SLACK_LINE needs to be defined
> > > for Solaris?
> >
> > If you wish to use more than so many virtual domains.  The point of using
> > it is that Solaris <v2.6 only allows 255 fds in a FILE structure, so
> > HIGH_SLACK_LINE tries to keep other fds above 255 to leave room for FILE
> > ones.
> >
> > Has no impact if you don't use lots of fds.
>
> The same applies to sockets as well doesn't it? When more than 256

Not until you make it threaded it doesn't...

> server processes running?

Nope.  Per process limits.  Some OSes have different total limits for all
processes combined, but they aren't normally a problem.

Re: HIGH_SLACK_LINE on Solaris

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Nope, it shouldn't.  You should only need it if you use lots of ErrorLogs
or FILE *s in non-stock modules.

Dean