Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ph...@verizon.com on 2004/07/13 21:07:28 UTC

Using SpamAssassin from behind a firewall

I have written a mail filtering script using Perl and the Mail::Audit and
Mail::SpamAssassin modules.

Here's what happens when I run my script with "fetchmail":

        1) Message is read in from STDIN using Mail::Audit->new( nomime=>
1);
        2) Mail goes through algorithm of known emails that I will
recieve.
        3) Creates a Mail::SpamAssassin object using =
Mail::SpamAssassin->new();
        4) Then run the test using = $spamtest->check($mail);
                - This is where the script hangs.

I went back and and repeated steps 1 and 2 but here is where I change
things:

        3) Create a Mail::SpamAssassin object using =
Mail::SpamAssassin->new( { local_tests_only => 1} ).
        4) Run the test using = $spamtest->check($mail);
                - The script runs, but about half the spam is not caught
b/c SpamAssassin did not access the internet.

So I've concluded that there is a firewall issue.

Two questions:

        1) Is there documentation somewhere indicating what methods
SpamAssassin is using to access the internet?
        2) Is there a way to perform the internet lookup without going on
the internet, for example getting a copy of the database on my local
machine and then query the database?

I appreciate the help.

-Phil Shon

Re: Using SpamAssassin from behind a firewall

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 02:07:28PM -0500, philip.s.shon@verizon.com wrote:
> I have written a mail filtering script using Perl and the Mail::Audit and
> Mail::SpamAssassin modules.

Just an FYI, Mail::Audit support got a bit sketchy in 2.x IIRC, and it's
completely removed in 3.0.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"... are you nuts?  Well, yeah, I got references ..." - Prof. Michaelson