Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Steven Caswell <st...@caswell.name> on 2002/11/07 13:16:57 UTC

[lang] Bug 14334 NestableException/Delegate is not serializable

Is there any objection to making the Nestable exception classes
serializable?  Any particular issues that should be addressed? I'll be
happy to make the changes if there is no objection.

Steven Caswell
steven@caswell.name
"In our own native land, in defense of the freedom that is our
birthright, and which we ever enjoyed till the late violation of it --
for the protection of our property, acquired solely by the honest
industry of our fore-fathers and ourselves, against violence actually
offered, we have taken up arms. We shall lay them down when hostilities
shall cease on the part of the aggressors, and all danger of their being
renewed shall be removed, and not before." - Thomas Jefferson

Re: [lang] Bug 14334 NestableException/Delegate is not serializable

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Good point.

Could we have a cloneException method internally which gets hte message,
stack-trace and classname of another exception and when output as our
nested-exception's child, we fake it?

I guess that might have some issues too though. People woudl expect
getCause/getException/whatever on our nested exception to maintain the
same class of exception.

Hen

Posted by Steve Downey <st...@netfolio.com>.

Posted by "Sean C. Sullivan" <se...@seansullivan.com>.
Exception classes should be serializable.

Sun's base exception class, java.lang.Exception
implements java.io.Serializable

A couple of weeks ago, I added some serialization unit
tests  in the [lang] project.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
No reason I can see. :) Go for it.