Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by George Ciubotaru <ge...@skillpages.com> on 2011/02/28 13:05:23 UTC

Column family cannot be removed

Hello guys,

I'm trying to remove a column family but without success.

I have a simple 3 nodes Cassandra 0.7 cluster, a keyspaces with replication factor 2 and a super column within this keyspace with around 200,000 rows. I'm using cassandra-cli:

-          drop column family CFName; throws the following exception: "java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "ln": java.io.IOException: error=12, Cannot allocate memory"

-          truncate CFName; immediately responds with "null"

-          drop keyspace KSName; also throws the above exception

I can remove without any problem a newly created column family.

Any idea of what might be wrong?

Thank you in advance,
George

RE: Column family cannot be removed

Posted by George Ciubotaru <ge...@skillpages.com>.
Thank you guys, this solved the issue indeed.

George

drop and truncate both snapshot first, which requires forking to run ln if you don't have JNA installed.

best solution: install JNA so it can do in-process link calls.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

RE: Column family cannot be removed

Posted by George Ciubotaru <ge...@skillpages.com>.
Hi Nikolay,

JNA has to be installed on the service box(es). On Ubuntu you can do the following:

  wget http://debian.riptano.com/debian/pool/libjna-java_3.2.7-0~nmu.2_amd64.deb
  sudo dpkg -i libjna-java_3.2.7-0~nmu.2_amd64.deb
  ln -s /usr/share/java/jna.jar [path_to_cassandra]/lib

... and then restart Cassandra server.

George

Jonathan Ellis <jbellis <at> gmail.com> writes:

> drop and truncate both snapshot first, which requires forking to run
> ln if you don't have JNA installed.
>
> best solution: install JNA so it can do in-process link calls.

Could you please tell exact actions in client (or not in client ?) that should be done ? I have installed JNA, yes truncate still doesn't work for me. What to do after ?

Thank you!

Re: Column family cannot be removed

Posted by Nikolay <nk...@yandex.ru>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.