Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Michael Garon <mg...@bellatlantic.net> on 2001/11/01 21:15:37 UTC

cannot open new listener

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new James user and -- surprise! -- I'm writing because I'm confused
about some issues. Before I get into them I just want to say a quick thanks
to the James team. You're providing a very valuable service!

So here's my problem. I download and unpack James 1.2.1. I run run.bat.
After being prompted to do so, I edit dnsservers, assign postmaster, root
password and set up the anti-relay mailet. I then hit enter and set the
batch file rolling again.

>2001.11.01 03:12:05 153 Channel default opened
>Main: Cannot open new listener (DEFAULT) on port 110: Cannot open
>ServerSocketAc
>ceptor on port 110
>java.lang.RuntimeException: Cannot open new listener (DEFAULT) on port
>110: Cann
>ot open ServerSocketAcceptor on port 110
>         at
> org.apache.avalon.blocks.serversocket.SocketManager.openListener(Sock
>etManager.java:83)
>         at org.apache.james.pop3server.POP3Server.init(POP3Server.java:66)
>         at org.apache.james.James.init(James.java:249)
>         at org.apache.avalon.engine.Avalon.initBlock(Avalon.java:144)
>         at org.apache.avalon.engine.Avalon.init(Avalon.java:112)
>         at org.apache.avalon.loader.Main.main(Main.java:88)

I don't see anything blocking port 110 on my machine. Any suggestions? Am I
doing something stupid?

Many thanks!
Mike

RE: cannot open new listener

Posted by Niall Murphy <ni...@wallaware.com>.
I have seem this problem on Windows 2000 after installing a Norton virus
checker. For some reason the virus checker listens on 110 as part of its
e-mail filetering. It does this even though the PC is not acting as a mail
server (apart from James).

A useful check is to telnet to port 110 and see if the POP3 hello prompt
states the name of the application (you will see the word james in there if
it is in fact James that is listening on that port).
	Niall Murphy

RE: cannot open new listener

Posted by Michael Garon <mg...@bellatlantic.net>.

RE: cannot open new listener