Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Richard Heintze <si...@yahoo.com> on 2001/08/04 02:55:26 UTC

Fully exploiting Cocoon

Wow!
 As a sample I'm trying to use cocoon for my resume.
To fully exploit cocoon/xml/xsl/fo and schemas I have
to keep 5 files synchronized:
  (1) siegfriedXSD.xml
  (2) resume.xsd
  (3) plain.xsl
  (4) plain-fo.xsl
  (5) siegfriedXSD-FO.xml (almost identical to
siegfriedXSD.xml).

Whew! that is a lot of work. Is there not some tool
that will help?

         Siegfried

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: Fully exploiting Cocoon

Posted by Richard Heintze <si...@yahoo.com>.
I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong. My job
would be a lot easier if I had a xsd file that worked
with an xsl and fo.xsl file for the resume and other
documents I want to create. Then when I encounter an
error I would know I typed something wrong in my xml
file.

I hear you can get schema from biztalk and oasis but I
went to those sites, performed searches and could not
find any resumes or other documents I might need.

I'm learning xsd and xslt so when I make a change to
SiegfriedXSD.xml I have to also change resume.xsd and
resume.xsl and resume-fo.xsl. That is tedious.

--- Berin Loritsch <bl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Why do you feel you have to keep them synchronised.
>
> If you have a number of resumes that all conform to
> your resume.xsd markup, then they can all work
> through
> the same stylesheets.

No, I'm just trying to get the first one to work.

>If your stylesheets are
> written
> to accept the same markup, they can be used
> interchangeably for whatever your desired result is.
>
> That means that if you have the source files:
>
> * siegried.xml
> * roy.xml
>
> That conform to the "resume.xsd" schema (which does
> not have to be used at runtime BTW).
>
> Then both stylesheets below will be able to process
> both xml files above:
>
> * resume2xhtml.xsl
> * resume2fo.xsl

Yes but I have to write those files too!

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

Re: Fully exploiting Cocoon

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@yahoo.com>.
Why do you feel you have to keep them synchronised.

If you have a number of resumes that all conform to
your resume.xsd markup, then they can all work through
the same stylesheets.  If your stylesheets are written

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/