Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by shangan <sh...@corp.kaixin001.com> on 2010/08/26 04:32:39 UTC

data in compression format affect mapreduce speed

will data stored in  compression format affect mapreduce job speed? increase or decrease? or more complex relationship between these two ?  can anybody give some explanation in detail?

2010-08-26

shangan

Re: Re: data in compression format affect mapreduce speed

Posted by Greg Roelofs <ro...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Harsh J wrote:

> BZip2 algorithm supports splitting and decompressing
> individual blocks of a file, you may try that.

Only on trunk (and maybe 0.21--not sure).  I don't believe anyone backported
bzip2 splittable support to 0.20.

Greg

Re: Re: data in compression format affect mapreduce speed

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:20 AM, shangan <sh...@corp.kaixin001.com> wrote:
> I agree with you on the most part. But I have some other questions. mapper are working on local machine so there's no network transfers during this process, if the original data stored in hdfs is compressed it will only decrease the IO time. One major point is I doubt whether the mapper can deal with only part of the whole data if the data is compressed which seems can't be split ? I've try to do a "select sum()" in hive and trace the job, it seems the .tar.gz data can only worked on one single matchine and stuck there for quite a long time(seems like need to wait other part of data be copied from other machines),while other data not compressed can work on different machines parallelly. Do you know something about this ?

GZip compressed files can not be decompressed as split blocks so only
one mapper runs. BZip2 algorithm supports splitting and decompressing
individual blocks of a file, you may try that.

LZO can be made to allow block splitting by indexing all the available
files first ( a program and a set of IOFormat classes for this is
provided by the hadoop-lzo project over at GitHub --
http://github.com/kevinweil/hadoop-lzo )

When using compression its usually also suggested to use SequenceFiles
and/or Avro data files for the data storage; as these are designed
with the HDFS and MR of Hadoop in mind and contain some form of block
checkpoints inside them which let them be split as blocks with any
form of compression codec applied. (Note: Avro uses deflate in its own
format).

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com

Re: Re: data in compression format affect mapreduce speed

Posted by shangan <sh...@corp.kaixin001.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com

Re: data in compression format affect mapreduce speed

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.