Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jean Lofts <je...@eng.ox.ac.uk> on 2005/03/15 08:45:20 UTC

Monitoring subversion usage

Hello All

I'm fairly new to subversion but have a (simple?) question
about monitoring usage.

Each user has a folder at the top level of our single
repository. They only have write access in their own folder.
We are using the Berkeley DB backend.

On a traditional filesystem it's easy for me to monitor how
much disk space each user is consuming and send off an
email if somebody is being too greedy.
Can anybody suggest how I can do something similar with
subversion?

Many thanks

Jean

Re: Monitoring subversion usage

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
[cc'ing back to the whole users@ list]

On Mar 15, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Jean Lofts wrote:

> Ben
>
> Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>
>> You realize that BDB just grows and grows, right?
>
> Yes. I see. I hadn't thought about it hard enough!
>
>> That said, you can certainly write a program to use the svn_fs.h API
>> to walk the repository filesystem and add up file-sizes.  I'm just
>> not sure that your quota idea makes any sense to enforce anymore.
>
> Many thanks for the pointer. It may at least help me
> to identify if a particular user is using the repository
> 'abnormally' so that I can have a word with them. They
> are supposed to be using it for source code, documentation
> and so on. I am concerned that some may simply see it as
> extra disk space to fill :)

Well, that's why it's so nice to get commit emails;  they describe
exactly what got committed.  You could certainly modify your
email-script to examine and announce the file-sizes of things that got
added in each commit.  On the other hand, if the email shows a user
committing a large collection of .mp3 files, that may be enough
indication.  :-)

Re: Monitoring subversion usage

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 15, 2005, at 2:45 AM, Jean Lofts wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I'm fairly new to subversion but have a (simple?) question
> about monitoring usage.
>
> Each user has a folder at the top level of our single
> repository. They only have write access in their own folder.
> We are using the Berkeley DB backend.
>
> On a traditional filesystem it's easy for me to monitor how
> much disk space each user is consuming and send off an
> email if somebody is being too greedy.

You realize that BDB just grows and grows, right?  It never, ever gets
smaller?  If a user commits a huge file to his repository area, then
gets scolded and deletes the file, the file still remains in history
forever.  The database doesn't shrink.