Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/10/27 01:04:16 UTC

Re: The Incubator site

ccing to Forrest as an info.

Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>>
>>>i'm looking forward to learning forrest.
>>
>>:-D
>
> i tried it while i was waiting for my car to be inspected, but i couldn't
> build it -- the cvs head has a dependency on being online and able to
> reach krysalis.org.

:-(

Ok Forrest guys, I've had enough! ;-)

It's the third time in an afternoon that I have recieved similar
problems, and feature requests.

We *must* ensure that these difficulties won't happen again, and
remember that many new users we will have from now on don't usually work
with or like Java (I'm not talkin about you Ken, it's the others that
complained ;-)

Jeff et all, from me you have all the support to:

  * remove what is left of the old Centipede inside Forrest
  * remove the need to download from an outer site
  * put all needed in CVS, put the latest Ant
  * make a 0.3 dist
  * make a build script as outlined in another mail
  * and basically do all you think is needed to make Forrest *totally*
self contained.

If you don't hear complaints from others (I think you won't ;-), go
ahead :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Is the agreement exactly the same as the one that is available on
jakarta? (this one is way nicer to print ...)

Site is looking good btw ;)

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:22, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 10:21:55AM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Another thing that I have suggested before is .... create an repo like
> > jakarta-site which has all the latest uptodate jars. Make sure that you
> > are going to retain backwards compatability and then publish it's
> > existence.
> >
> > Then others can rely on this single repo to build their stuff rather than
> > every joe checking in binaries to their own CVS. It was one of the key
> > features that got me to dump all our cocoon based docs and move to
> > anakia.
>
> Eewwww..no binaries in CVS please.
>
> Feel free to stick up a big tarball or zip full of binaries, but that
> stuff doesn't belong in CVS, IMHO.

Okay then. However it should be noted that because Java lacks the ability to
manage shared libraries effectively (at all!!!). Hence you could be
downloading 10 MB each time something changes or updates. See jakarta-site
module for an example of how often changes are made...

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
When a stupid man is doing something he's ashamed of,
he always declares that it is his duty.
					George Bernard Shaw

ApacheCon (Was: Re: The Incubator site)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
You know, I'm thinking that ApacheCon would be a good time to do
some basic ASF Incubator promotion. :)

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:22:30PM -0800, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> Eewwww..no binaries in CVS please.
>
> Feel free to stick up a big tarball or zip full of binaries, but that
> stuff doesn't belong in CVS, IMHO.

Oh, don't *even* get me started on binaries in CVS.

CVS has zero concept of scalability. It *can* and *does* consume as much RAM
as it wants. And binaries is a major reason why it will consume memory.

Switch to Subversion(*). At least it won't hork your server when you shove a
gigabyte of data into it.

Cheers,
-g

p.s. /me notes that a lack of a ViewCVS equiv was the reason to avoid SVN
     for a while; /me further notes that ViewCVS now has SVN capability...

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 10:21:55AM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Another thing that I have suggested before is .... create an repo like
> jakarta-site which has all the latest uptodate jars. Make sure that you are
> going to retain backwards compatability and then publish it's existence.
>
> Then others can rely on this single repo to build their stuff rather than
> every joe checking in binaries to their own CVS. It was one of the key
> features that got me to dump all our cocoon based docs and move to anakia.

Eewwww..no binaries in CVS please.

Feel free to stick up a big tarball or zip full of binaries, but that
stuff doesn't belong in CVS, IMHO.

-aaron

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 10:21:55AM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Another thing that I have suggested before is .... create an repo like
> jakarta-site which has all the latest uptodate jars. Make sure that you are
> going to retain backwards compatability and then publish it's existence.
>
> Then others can rely on this single repo to build their stuff rather than
> every joe checking in binaries to their own CVS. It was one of the key
> features that got me to dump all our cocoon based docs and move to anakia.

Yes, that's been done.  Forrest can now be installed in
/usr/local/forrest or wherever and reused in multiple projects.  For
Avalon, it should be possible to ditch those 8 megs of Cocoon jars in
tools/ext/.

> On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:04, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > > i tried it while i was waiting for my car to be inspected, but i couldn't
> > > build it -- the cvs head has a dependency on being online and able to
> > > reach krysalis.org.
> > >
> > :-(
> >
> > Ok Forrest guys, I've had enough! ;-)
> >
> > It's the third time in an afternoon that I have recieved similar
> > problems, and feature requests.
> >
> > We *must* ensure that these difficulties won't happen again, and
> > remember that many new users we will have from now on don't usually work
> > with or like Java (I'm not talkin about you Ken, it's the others that
> > complained ;-)
> >
> > Jeff et all, from me you have all the support to:
> >
> >   * remove what is left of the old Centipede inside Forrest
> >   * remove the need to download from an outer site
> >   * put all needed in CVS, put the latest Ant
> >   * make a 0.3 dist
> >   * make a build script as outlined in another mail
> >   * and basically do all you think is needed to make Forrest *totally*
> > self contained.
> > If you don't hear complaints from others (I think you won't ;-), go
> > ahead :-)

Good-o.  Barring others complaints I'll do it today.

--Jeff

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: The Incubator site

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: XML validation (Re: [VOTE] Turf Centipede, plus updates)

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm waiting for Craeg to get back to me before posting it to Ant
> bugzilla.

ping me once you've done so and I'll make sure it will become part of
Ant soonish.

Stefan

Re: XML validation

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

>Didn't know about that.. thanks for the pointer.  One day when synching
>javadocs and XML docs gets too painful I'll look into it properly.
>

>--Jeff

Funny how code is motevated by pain :-P .
Most of my coding day is pain avoidance.

At night I do opensource work where I can enjoy the pain.

Re: XML validation

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 07:27:51AM -0800, Nick Chalko wrote:

> >It's an extension of documentv10 that Ovidiu and I are using for the
> >Anteater user manual.  It provides custom tags for documenting XML
> >grammars (in our case, Ant tasks):
> >
> ><element name="httpRequest">
> > <title> ... </title>
> > <description> ... </description>
> > <attributes>
> >   <attribute name="host" type="String" defvalue="localhost">
> >   </attribute>
> > </attributes>
> > <elements>
> >   <elementref name="contentEquals">
> >   </elementref>
> > </elements>
> > <examples>
> >   <example> ... </example>
> > </examples>
> ></element>
> >
> >As an example of the HTML output, see
> >http://aft.sourceforge.net/manual/Test%20tasks.html
> >
> >I could update it to documentv11 and add it to Forrest if anyone wants
> >to reuse this.
> >

> I love it.  looks great.

Thanks.. it's mainly Ovidiu Predescu's work.  He spent _ages_ on an
xsl:fo stylesheet for it too.

> Are you doing the xml by hand  or generateing it from source.
> I tried http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-ant/proposal/xdocs/ to work.

It's generated by hand currently, but I'd certainly like to try an
xdoclet system.

Re: XML validation

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.

>It's an extension of documentv10 that Ovidiu and I are using for the
>Anteater user manual.  It provides custom tags for documenting XML
>grammars (in our case, Ant tasks):
>
><element name="httpRequest">
>  <title> ... </title>
>  <description> ... </description>
>  <attributes>
>    <attribute name="host" type="String" defvalue="localhost">
>    </attribute>
>  </attributes>
>  <elements>
>    <elementref name="contentEquals">
>    </elementref>
>  </elements>
>  <examples>
>    <example> ... </example>
>  </examples>
></element>
>
>As an example of the HTML output, see
>http://aft.sourceforge.net/manual/Test%20tasks.html
>
>I could update it to documentv11 and add it to Forrest if anyone wants
>to reuse this.

I love it.  looks great.

Re: XML validation

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:39, David Crossley wrote:
> Try deliberately breaking your project's skinconf.xml

Or try using an alternate skinconf.xml schema/dtd :)

I use a slight variation and it would be great if there was property that
could be set in forrest.properties to turn off skinconf validation.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
| Contrary to popular belief, UNIX is user-friendly. It   |
| just happens to be selective on who it makes friendship |
| with.                                                   |
|                       - Richard Cook                    |

Re: XML validation

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 03:39:06PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > I tried there, but i think that i found that it needed
> > > to happen earlier in the build.
> >
> > I've changed forrest.build.xml so 'validate' is called earlier, and then
> > moved the RNG stuff into it.  Seems to work okay..
>
> No it doesn't. It was better where i had it.
>
> Try deliberately breaking your project's skinconf.xml then 'forrest'
> command reports some un-intelligible errors at 'load-project-props'
> target. The conf file gets validated by RELAX NG later on. Too late.
> That is why it was at 'init-props' target.

Oh okay.  Should be fixed now.  I've broken the skinconf validation into
a 'validate-skinconf' target, which is depended on by the <xmlproperty>
task.

--Jeff

Re: XML validation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Re: XML validation

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: XML validation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Re: XML validation

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 09:39:10PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:
> > Definitely.  Switching on validation is likely to highlight the drawbacks
> > of using DTDs.  For instance, I found that half my docs don't validate
> > because I'm using XInclude <xi:include> tags.  I'm highly in favour of
> > adding RNG schema tests, since we can do much stricter validation.
>
> I commenced the RELAX NG validation stuff. For starters
> it is doing skinconf.xml

Good stuff..  I'll write a tabs.xml validator too, since I had to loosen
the DTD contract to support @href.

> I am not sure where to put it in the build. At the moment
> it is in target "init-props". Later we will probably want to
> validate other things, so somewhere different may be better.

'validate' target perhaps? :)

> Also i was not sure whether to put the Jing jar into lib/optional or
> lib/core, so i opted for the latter.

I think lib/optional was a Centipede requirement.. I'll remove the
placeholder file.

--Jeff

Re: XML validation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Re: XML validation

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 06:05:18PM +1100, David Crossley wrote:
> Excellent work Jeff. I am itching to try it out.
>
> I do not know if you are on cocoon-dev, but we have
> been experimenting with RELAX NG validation (via Ant
> at build-time) of the main config files, and perhaps
> later with xdocs.
>
> We have often discussed RNG here on forrest-dev. Should we
> have multiple validation systems in Forrest? I think so.

Definitely.  Switching on validation is likely to highlight the drawbacks
of using DTDs.  For instance, I found that half my docs don't validate
because I'm using XInclude <xi:include> tags.  I'm highly in favour of
adding RNG schema tests, since we can do much stricter validation.

I'm currently busy writing up an example of how to deal with things like
<xi:include> tags, by overriding and extending document-v11.dtd.  The
quality DTD design work by Steven and Stefano is now paying off - we
would have been in a real mess if we were using document-v10.dtd.

Re: XML validation

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Excellent work Jeff. I am itching to try it out.

I do not know if you are on cocoon-dev, but we have
been experimenting with RELAX NG validation (via Ant
at build-time) of the main config files, and perhaps
later with xdocs.

We have often discussed RNG here on forrest-dev. Should we
have multiple validation systems in Forrest? I think so.

Comments inline ...

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Turf Centipede, plus updates (Re: The Incubator site)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> > >
> > >i tried it while i was waiting for my car to be inspected, but i
> > >couldn't build it -- the cvs head has a dependency on being online and
> > >able to reach krysalis.org.
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > Ok Forrest guys, I've had enough! ;-)
> >
> > It's the third time in an afternoon that I have recieved similar
> > problems, and feature requests.
> >
> > We *must* ensure that these difficulties won't happen again, and
> > remember that many new users we will have from now on don't usually
> > work with or like Java (I'm not talkin about you Ken, it's the others
> > that complained ;-)
> >
> > Jeff et all, from me you have all the support to:
> >
> >  * remove what is left of the old Centipede inside Forrest
> >  * remove the need to download from an outer site
> >  * put all needed in CVS, put the latest Ant
>
> I've done most of this on my local repository.  The effects are:
>
>  - Directory structure and build.xml somewhat simpler.
>  - Forrest is buildable by typing 'ant' (to keep Dion happy).
>  - .. but for people without Ant, it's also buildable with
>    ./build.{sh,bat}.  An _unmodified_ but stripped-down Ant 1.6-dev is
>    kept in tools/ant/ for this purpose.
>  - The shbat distribution now includes the same stripped-down Ant.
>    Previously we required the user to have Ant installed to run Forrest.
>    Now Forrest requires only a JDK to run.
>
> If anyone has objections, get them in now before lazy consensus kicks in.

Go do it ... +1
--David

Re: [VOTE] Turf Centipede, plus updates (Re: The Incubator site)

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:

 > If anyone has objections, get them in now before lazy consensus kicks
 > in.

Let me help you kick: +1

 > Other Exciting News from Some of the Forrest Team:

Muchos kudos :-)

</Steven>

Re: [VOTE] Turf Centipede, plus updates (Re: The Incubator site)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 01:04:16AM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>>
>>>i tried it while i was waiting for my car to be inspected, but i
>>>couldn't build it -- the cvs head has a dependency on being online and
>>>able to reach krysalis.org.
>>
>>:-(
>>
>>Ok Forrest guys, I've had enough! ;-)
>>
>>It's the third time in an afternoon that I have recieved similar
>>problems, and feature requests.
>>
>>We *must* ensure that these difficulties won't happen again, and
>>remember that many new users we will have from now on don't usually
>>work with or like Java (I'm not talkin about you Ken, it's the others
>>that complained ;-)
>>
>>Jeff et all, from me you have all the support to:
>>
>> * remove what is left of the old Centipede inside Forrest
>> * remove the need to download from an outer site
>> * put all needed in CVS, put the latest Ant
>

> I've done most of this on my local repository.  The effects are:
>
>  - Directory structure and build.xml somewhat simpler.
>  - Forrest is buildable by typing 'ant' (to keep Dion happy).
>  - .. but for people without Ant, it's also buildable with
>    ./build.{sh,bat}.  An _unmodified_ but stripped-down Ant 1.6-dev is
>    kept in tools/ant/ for this purpose.
>  - The shbat distribution now includes the same stripped-down Ant.
>    Previously we required the user to have Ant installed to run Forrest.
>    Now Forrest requires only a JDK to run.

Cool! GO Go Go! :-D

> Other Exciting News from Some of the Forrest Team:
>
>  - Nicola has Jetty working.  Faster-than-Anakia edit/view turnaround
>    times are now possible, if we could just get rid of the 'copy src/*
>    build/*' stage.

Yup, I can say it *is* working, and BTW, how cool! :-)

I'll commit it ASAP, which means basically Saturday, since now I'm in
Duesseldorf attending to http://www.glasstec-online.com/, and they have
a firewall here...

Anyway I can say I'm working on integrating slash-edit and chaperon in
the system, and now I'm able to save pages already in the browser
directly, but I still need to work things out so see a RT from me on it
soon.

>  - Jeff spent today hacking Ant and finally got <xmlcatalog> support for
>    external OASIS catalogs working (hence Ant 1.6-dev mentioned above).
>    We'll soon have XML validation as part of the doc rendering process.

Yeah!

>  - Jeff has latest Cocoon ChainMetaModule working in Forrest.  Having
>    cookie-remembered, user-selectable skins in live webapps is only an
>    XSP away.

:-O

:-)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.