Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Paul Bergstrom <pa...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2016/07/06 11:22:57 UTC

PDF to PDF/A conversion

Hi!

I'm totally new to Apache PDFBox to please bear any stupid question:-)

In my work I do some digital archiving where I usually OCR scanned PDF-images with Tesseract and then do the conversion from PDF to PDF/A-1b with Ghostscript.

However, there has recently been a change in the OCR specifications - don't really know when and exactly how - but the consequences are that Ghostscript now is mangling and altering the OCR so it can't be used. As what I understand it has something to do with the ToUnicode CMap processing.

However I tried some other software to do the conversion and the problem does not occur there. That's why I also would like to try to do the conversion with PDFBox to see what happens.

The problem is I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I'm not really in to java-based software. Can it be done nad how is it done? Preferably from the Linux commandline.

I saw this https://pdfbox.apache.org/1.8/cookbook/pdfacreation.html but I can't make any sense out of it.

Is it possible something like this:

java -jar pdfbox-app-x.y.z.jar Convert [OPTIONS] <inputfile> [outputfile] (where options might be compability level)?

Many thanks for your effort!

Best regards

Paul Bergström
Sweden

Re: PDF to PDF/A conversion

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 06.07.2016 um 13:22 schrieb Paul Bergstrom:
> Hi!
>
> I'm totally new to Apache PDFBox to please bear any stupid question:-)
>
> In my work I do some digital archiving where I usually OCR scanned PDF-images with Tesseract and then do the conversion from PDF to PDF/A-1b with Ghostscript.
>
> However, there has recently been a change in the OCR specifications - don't really know when and exactly how - but the consequences are that Ghostscript now is mangling and altering the OCR so it can't be used. As what I understand it has something to do with the ToUnicode CMap processing.
>
> However I tried some other software to do the conversion and the problem does not occur there. That's why I also would like to try to do the conversion with PDFBox to see what happens.
>
> The problem is I have absolutely no idea how to do this. I'm not really in to java-based software. Can it be done nad how is it done? Preferably from the Linux commandline.
>
> I saw this https://pdfbox.apache.org/1.8/cookbook/pdfacreation.html but I can't make any sense out of it.
>
> Is it possible something like this:
>
> java -jar pdfbox-app-x.y.z.jar Convert [OPTIONS] <inputfile> [outputfile] (where options might be compability level)?
We don't have a tool that converts PDF to PDF/A-1b (there are commercial
tools that do that, e.g. from Callas or PDF-Tools). It might be possible
to implement this if the flaws are known in advance. Usually the meta
data and the output intent are missing, but there might be much more.

Tilman

Re: PDF to PDF/A conversion

Posted by Mick Davis <tg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

I just finished doing exactly that for the same reason (archiving
documents).  I wrote a Java program that can be called from the command
line.   It would probably need to be tweaked to suit your exact needs but I
would be happy to share it and provide some help with customizing it.   I'm
away from my desk right now but I will follow up with you later today.

Mick Davis