Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Andrew Rampulla <ar...@orbistechnologies.com> on 2019/02/21 15:11:54 UTC

Java: Project view: showing non-pom.xml files

Is there any mechanism to display files that are not pom.xml files in Netbeans?  There was a plugin made for Netbeans 7.x back in the day to allow viewing of Dockerfile, README.md, etc., but that hasn't been maintained in 2Y and this really feels like it should be part of the core functionality.  I must be missing something.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Andrew Rampulla

RE: Java: Project view: showing non-pom.xml files

Posted by Andrew Rampulla <ar...@orbistechnologies.com>.
Thanks for all the replies.  I do use the Files view, but since I can do 99% of my job in the projects view (and I assume most people are similar), it seemed like it would be useful for those files in the root of my project to be displayed somewhere in that view.  I feel this is especially true since all projects usually have a README.md in the root of their project.

Andrew Rampulla

On 2/21/19 9:11 AM, Andrew Rampulla wrote:
> Is there any mechanism to display files that are not pom.xml files in
> Netbeans?  There was a plugin made for Netbeans 7.x back in the day to
> allow viewing of Dockerfile, README.md, etc., but that hasn’t been
> maintained in 2Y and this really feels like it should be part of the
> core functionality.  I must be missing something.  Any ideas?

Did you try using the Files view (ctrl-2)?

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682) "After the vintage season came the aftermath -- and Cenbe."

Re: Java: Project view: showing non-pom.xml files

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Glenn Holmer <ce...@kolabnow.com.INVALID>.
haha, I see we all piled on at once :)

On 2/21/19 9:20 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> the "Files" window that displays an "un-biased" view

Well put.

Posted by Thomas Kellerer <sh...@gmx.net>.
> Is there any mechanism to display files that are not pom.xml files in
> Netbeans?  There was a plugin made for Netbeans 7.x back in the day
> to allow viewing of Dockerfile, README.md, etc., but that hasn’t been
> maintained in 2Y and this really feels like it should be part of the
> core functionality.  I must be missing something.  Any ideas?

If you are talking about a Maven project, then those files typically reside in src/main/resource and they are automatically shown in the project window.

If you have them somewhere else, you can use the "Files" window that displays an "un-biased" view on the filesystem of each project that you have open.

Thomas

Re: Java: Project view: showing non-pom.xml files

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
The idea of the Projects window is to show you the important files only, if
you need to see other files use the Files window instead.

Gj