Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Stefano Nichele <st...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/22 10:24:40 UTC

Trace and Debug level usage

Hi All,
I don't know if this is the right list, maybe not and I apologize if
this is not the right one. BTW, I would like to know how DEBUG and TRACE
level are usually handled.
I mean, when a log record should be DEBUG and when that should be TRACE ?
I'm working on a web application and the idea could be: all records
useful for an administrator should be DEBUG and not TRACE. At TRACE
level just the information useful to the developers could be logged. So,
for instance, a value of an "internal" variable should be logged as
TRACE. I know this is not easily distinguishable and so I'm wondering
how these level are handled from other users.

Thanks
Ste

Re: Trace and Debug level usage

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Nov 22, 2006, at 3:24 AM, Stefano Nichele wrote:

> Hi All,
> I don't know if this is the right list, maybe not and I apologize
> if this is not the right one. BTW, I would like to know how DEBUG
> and TRACE level are usually handled.
> I mean, when a log record should be DEBUG and when that should be
> TRACE ?
> I'm working on a web application and the idea could be: all records
> useful for an administrator should be DEBUG and not TRACE. At TRACE
> level just the information useful to the developers could be
> logged. So, for instance, a value of an "internal" variable should
> be logged as TRACE. I know this is not easily distinguishable and
> so I'm wondering how these level are handled from other users.
>
> Thanks
> Ste

I suggest using logger names to distinguish messages targeted to
different audiences.  For example, use logger names based on class
names for diagnostic messages targeted for developers and some other
naming system for messages targeted to administrators.  Search the
archives for "audience" or "audit" and you can find previous
discussions on this topic.