Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Susan G. Conger" <co...@yoeric.com> on 2008/04/14 14:37:35 UTC

System requirements for running Apache Tomcat on Windows Box

I am trying to put together some system requires for running Apache HTTP
Server and Tomcat on windows machines.  I have looked all over but I can't
seem to find a minimum system specification for windows.  I want to run
tomcat 6.0 and I need CPU, Hard Drive Space, Memory and anything else that
will tell the customer what the need.  I would like to know the minimum,
medium, ideal system specifications for windows.  If anyone know where I can
find this information or has these specs please let me know.

Thanks,

Susan

Susan G. Conger
Custom Windows & Macintosh Development

President
Web Site Design & Development

YOERIC Corporation
Database Design & Development

256 Windy Ridge Road

Chapel Hill, NC  27517

Phone/Fax: (919)542-0071

congers@yoeric.com

www.yoeric.com

RE: System requirements for running Apache Tomcat on Windows Box

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Susan G. Conger [mailto:congers@yoeric.com]
> I am trying to put together some system requires for running
> Apache HTTP Server and Tomcat on windows machines.

A minimal Tomcat installation takes under 10 meg of disk, starts up in under 30 meg of RAM and will cheerfully run on a low-end Celeron.  I would say low-end 486, but I've not checked the minimum CPU requirements for Java 1.6!

Now add the required resources for your operating system and your application - which will be most of them!  The only way to do this is to benchmark your application - on Windows - and to make reasonable assumptions about application load.  That is not a job that can be done by this, or any, mailing list.

Also, why do you feel you need Apache httpd in front of Tomcat?  Tomcat is a very capable web server in its own right, unlike (say) PHP or perl.  If you're concerned about performance, this will typically increase response times for dynamically-generated content, take extra CPU cycles and consume extra memory.  There are reasons to use httpd + Tomcat - if you give us some more information, you may get some more informed comment!

                - Peter

Re: System requirements for running Apache Tomcat on Windows Box

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Oh... XP professional is what we use... we dont use big expensive MS servers
;)

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
Susan G. Conger wrote:
> I am trying to put together some system requires for running Apache HTTP
> Server and Tomcat on windows machines.  I have looked all over but I can't
> seem to find a minimum system specification for windows.  I want to run
> tomcat 6.0 and I need CPU, Hard Drive Space, Memory and anything else that
> will tell the customer what the need.  I would like to know the minimum,
> medium, ideal system specifications for windows.  If anyone know where I can
> find this information or has these specs please let me know.

As others have said, the requirements for Tomcat itself are pretty
minimal; anything that will run windows effectively will handle tomcat
itself ok.   Your application, OTOH may need much more capacity.  If you
tell us a little more about what your app is doing, how many
simultaneous users, etc, we'll be able to give more accurate suggestions.

As an example, I have an app that takes continuous data feeds from about
330 locations around the country, totaling around 2.5M lines and 210 MB
of data per day.  It runs on a dual-core dual processor Xeon with 2GB
RAM running Windows server 2003, Tomcat 5.5 and Java 1.5, and very
rarely rises above 2% CPU usage or 600MB memory usage.  So obviously I'm
over-spec'd with this machine.

Re: System requirements for running Apache Tomcat on Windows Box

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.