Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Stephan Menzel <sm...@gmx-gmbh.de> on 2006/07/04 14:53:51 UTC

spamd core dumps?

Hi,

we've got spamd running under pretty heavy load and sometimes it just crashes
without any visible reason after some hours.
Does a crashing spamd cause any coredumps I might examine? Or is there anyting
I can do to reduce the probability of those crashes?

It runs on Debian Linux 2.6.16, perl 5.8.4 on an average load between 3 and 4.

Greetings...

Stephan

Re: bayes sql error.

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
Is there a LANG=UTF-8 or some such setting that you could maybe use?

        Loren

RE: bayes sql error.

Posted by "Gary W. Smith" <ga...@primeexalia.com>.
Ross,

You're not the only one to run into the problem.  I had converted out
database over to UTF8 and didn't think anything about it until about a
week later when the spam started pouring in.  It still seemed to learn,
it just couldn't select (i.e. compare).

I figured maybe it was the upgraded data.  So we dumped the data and
started again from scratch.  It grew as expected but once it hit 200/200
we saw the same error.  The calling server (it's a centralized database
cluster) is set to default to UTF8.

Everything on that backend server is also UTF8.  We ended up dropping
the database entirely and then recreating it with Latin.  From there it
seemed to work.

I'm not sure what the overhead of converting it to Latin on a UTF8
configured MySQL instance but it seems to work.  This is a bad work
around at best though.  There should be some type of flag that we can
use in the SA configuration to specify character set in the connection
string (or maybe a separate variable altogether).

It seems to be ignoring the /etc/my.cnf variable
"default-character-set=utf8" that the MySQL client should default to.
So what we could be seeing isn't a spamassassin issue but a rather bad
implementation of MySQL client library ignoring their own directives.

But I'm by no means an expert on the subject...

Gary Wayne Smith

We

bayes sql error.