Posted to dev@kibble.apache.org by sh...@apache.org on 2018/09/10 08:07:50 UTC

Feedback Requested from Kibble Demo Projects

Hi All

Thanks very much for being one of the projects that is part of the
Kibble demo instance. We hope that you are making use of the information
Kibble shows about your project. We have had our demo instance up and
running for most of this year so now we'd like to get some feedback from
you about how you are using Kibble.

Some example questions that we’d be interested in are as follows:

  * How often are you using Kibble and what are you using it for?
  * How does information from Kibble inform decisions or is useful in
    other ways?
  * What questions about your community can you currently not answer and
    what information could Kibble provide to help answer these questions?
  * What problems do you have with using Kibble?

Please note that even if you are not using Kibble then it would be good
to understand why (e.g perhaps the documentation for using it isn’t
clear etc). Also if you have any other feedback about Kibble then we’d
be happy to hear it so that we can work on improving it for the future.

If you have any questions then please feel free to ask them on our
Kibble dev list (dev@kibble.apache.org). We're looking forward to
receiving your feedback.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: Feedback Requested from Kibble Demo Projects

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <er...@apache.org>.
Hello.

On 2018/09/14 10:20:42, sharan@apache.org wrote:
> Hi Gilles
>
> Thanks very much for the feedback. Please can you let us know which
> Apache project you are involved in so we can record and track the feedback.

The project is "Commons" (I've created the "commons" view in the demo).

Best regards,
Gilles

Posted by sh...@apache.org.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

Posted by Sharan <sh...@gmail.com>.

On 10.9.2018 10:54, Sharan wrote:

> On 10.9.2018 10:50, Daniel Gruno wrote:
>> On 09/10/2018 10:46 AM, Sharan wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> The quick filter seems to need a view, so I've created a Netbeans
>>> view under the Kibble guest login.
>>
>> the sub-filter is 'sticky', so you don't really need to create
>> permanent filters much. If you type 'netbeans' in the sub-filter box,
>> it should stick when you navigate to other pages on the site.
>
> OK - will test that :-)

Yes it works and  I think it is something we need to document as it is a
nice quick way for people to get started :-)

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Sharan <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sharan <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2018-09-12 at 12:18 +0200, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 09/12/2018 12:14 PM, Robert Munteanu wrote:
> > 3. I was unable to find what the Pony Factor is. Some documentation
> > (inline in the app or in the manual) would be great.
>
> https://ke4qqq.wordpress.com/2015/02/08/pony-factor-math/
>
> We should put a link to that or add the description to the
> documentation, yeah. it's basically a risk factor.

Thanks for the primer in equine mathematics :-)

Robert

Re: Feedback Requested from Kibble Demo Projects

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Sharan,

(+dev@sling)

On Mon, 2018-09-10 at 10:07 +0200, sharan@apache.org wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Thanks very much for being one of the projects that is part of the
> Kibble demo instance. We hope that you are making use of the
> information
> Kibble shows about your project. We have had our demo instance up
> and
> running for most of this year so now we'd like to get some feedback
> from
> you about how you are using Kibble.
>
> Some example questions that we’d be interested in are as follows:
>
>   * How often are you using Kibble and what are you using it for?

I for one used it a couple of times to try and assess community health
by looking for new contributors. Having 280+ git repos makes it very
hard to do so with other tools.

>   * How does information from Kibble inform decisions or is useful in
>     other ways?

I'm looking mostly at trends - how is the number of contributors
evolving? Do we have new people coming in and contributing?

>   * What questions about your community can you currently not answer
> and
>     what information could Kibble provide to help answer these
> questions?

Top of my head, that would be:

- contributions by non-committers - code, emails
- release activity ( can be picked up from Jira or from [VOTE] emails )

>   * What problems do you have with using Kibble?

1. Trying to access the 'contributors' tab with the 'Apache Sling' view
results in a 'Widget design not found' error for me [1]
2. (Not an issue with Kibble per se) Since we keep adding repositories
(~20 are not on Kibble) we would need a way of automating it. I saw
that Kibble has an API, but not sure how much work is for us to manage
the repositories list ( + the view ). Need to look into it.
3. I was unable to find what the Pony Factor is. Some documentation
(inline in the app or in the manual) would be great.

-----

Guess that about covers it. Overall I'm happy Kibble exists I can
extract stats about our projects so thanks for that!

Robert

[1]: https://demo.kibble.apache.org/contributors.html?page=mvp&view=adb6da82a758f0cc0d3b650b9e839c15c0e0f7d92ff5f074821d7e98

Re: Emailing PMCs in public versus private [was: Feedback Requested from Kibble Demo Projects]

Posted by sh...@apache.org.

On 10.9.2018 11:34, Julian Foad wrote:
> sharan@apache.org wrote on 2018-09-10:
>> Hi Julian
>>
>> No, this query doesn't need to remain private. Please feel free to share
>> this with your community.
> Done. Thanks.
>
>> I sent the reminder to the PMCs as the
>> original request to become a Kibble demo project was sent out to the
>> PMCs. [...]
> I wonder if I can guess the root of the problem. Your email arrived at "private@subversion.a.o" but from what you say here would I be right in guessing you addressed it to "pmcs@apache.org"? If that's the case, then that's a source of confusion.

Hi Julian

I didn't send the original request so I'm not sure what alias was used
but the objective was to send it to all project private lists. If you'd
like to locate the message, the original request for participation was
sent on 27 November 2017.

> I have just searched around and found that in 2005 a resolution [3] was passed to rename all the mailing lists formerly called "pmc@PROJECT.apache.org" to "private@PROJECT.apache.org" and to use these only for strictly private matters. This resolution is incorporated in the PMC Required Policies [2].
>
> However, it appears that the alias "pmcs@" may now be pointing to the "private@" lists (I'm not sure how to check), in which case it should therefore only be used for strictly private matters and it may be a good idea to rename that alias to something like "pmcs-private@" and deprecate "pmcs@".

> Can you shed any more light on this?
This sounds like a discussion topic for dev@community.a.o rather than
the Kibble dev list as as you are talking about something that would
affect all projects.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
For anyone here who is interested in following this topic: I moved it to <de...@community.a.o>.

--
- Julian

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.
sharan@apache.org wrote on 2018-09-10:
> Hi Julian
>
> No, this query doesn't need to remain private. Please feel free to share
> this with your community.

Done. Thanks.

> I sent the reminder to the PMCs as the
> original request to become a Kibble demo project was sent out to the
> PMCs. [...]

I wonder if I can guess the root of the problem. Your email arrived at "private@subversion.a.o" but from what you say here would I be right in guessing you addressed it to "pmcs@apache.org"? If that's the case, then that's a source of confusion.

I have just searched around and found that in 2005 a resolution [3] was passed to rename all the mailing lists formerly called "pmc@PROJECT.apache.org" to "private@PROJECT.apache.org" and to use these only for strictly private matters. This resolution is incorporated in the PMC Required Policies [2].

However, it appears that the alias "pmcs@" may now be pointing to the "private@" lists (I'm not sure how to check), in which case it should therefore only be used for strictly private matters and it may be a good idea to rename that alias to something like "pmcs-private@" and deprecate "pmcs@".

Can you shed any more light on this?

- Julian

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#confidential
[3] https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/Rename_pmc_lists_to_private.html

Re: Feedback Requested from Kibble Demo Projects

Posted by sh...@apache.org.
Hi Julian

No, this query doesn't need to remain private. Please feel free to share
this with your community. I sent the reminder to the PMCs as the
original request to become a Kibble demo project was sent out to the
PMCs. Based on the responses we received from the PMCs, the projects
were added to the demo instance.

Thanks
Sharan

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@apache.org>.