Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nicholas Sherlock <n....@gmail.com> on 2009/04/25 05:36:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: Remote Browsing of Other Ports than Port 80

jeff00seattle wrote:
> ISSUE:
> Opening a browser on localhost can see all declared vhost (3 different
> ports), but browsing remotely I can only see one vhost (port 80). What I am
> I missing?
>
> SETUP:
> I have declared upon a single site (IP ##.##.##.##) three different
> VirtualHost configurations; one VirtualHost declared for each of ports 80,
> 8080, and 8085.
>
> I can view all three VirtualHosts (80, 8080, and 8085) when I open my
> browser upon the same host as my site ##.##.##.##.
>
> However, when I try to view my three VirtualHosts from a remote browser, I
> can view only port 80, but I cannot view ports 8080 or 8085.

What's your firewall and routing configuration like? Have you opened
and/or forwarded those extra ports?

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: [users@httpd] Re: Remote Browsing of Other Ports than Port 80

Posted by Brian Mearns <me...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Nicholas Sherlock
<n....@gmail.com> wrote:
> jeff00seattle wrote:
>>
>> ISSUE:
>> Opening a browser on localhost can see all declared vhost (3 different
>> ports), but browsing remotely I can only see one vhost (port 80). What I
>> am
>> I missing?
>>
>> SETUP:
>> I have declared upon a single site (IP ##.##.##.##) three different
>> VirtualHost configurations; one VirtualHost declared for each of ports 80,
>> 8080, and 8085.
>>
>> I can view all three VirtualHosts (80, 8080, and 8085) when I open my
>> browser upon the same host as my site ##.##.##.##.
>> However, when I try to view my three VirtualHosts from a remote browser, I
>> can view only port 80, but I cannot view ports 8080 or 8085.
>
> What's your firewall and routing configuration like? Have you opened and/or
> forwarded those extra ports?
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas Sherlock

It's also very possible that the remote location has blocked these
other ports. Many networks, especially in an office, and sometimes in
a school, block all but a handful of ports. I would expect 8080 would
be included in the unblocked ports, but 8085 is not generally a
standard port, and is frequently blocked.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net