Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/07 15:24:01 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Migrating to Subversion

Grep and I are unable to find the cvs task being used in the Cactus
build (at least for the top three directories).
Are we talking about the cvschangelog task in documentation/build.xml?

Could be that you've changed it already too :)

Hen

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Henri,

Thanks for all your effort to help us! I really appreciate it.

However I think it's too early for us for the following reasons:

1/ I lack the time to work on that ATM. It won't improve in the coming 3
months as I'll be mentoring 6 students for Google's SOC.

2/ I'd rather not change things as one student (Xuan) will be working on
migrating Cactus to Cargo this summer.

3/ No other committer has proposed himself to make the move to SVN.

Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Taking this (along with Stefan's reply on the Ant list that it's
> unlikely that the svn task will be released in Ant itself), the idea
> of waiting for Ant to support SVN for the cvschangelog task looks a
> bit endless.

You can build the ant-svn antlib right now.  Waiting for a release of
that antlib wouldn't be endless.

It just probably won't get relesed toghether with Ant (and why should
it?).

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Migrating to Subversion

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like Stefan's svnchangelog task might take care of the 3
> issues I list, and should handle excludes as it's based on the Ant
> fileset system.

It's not mine, it is ours ;-)

I've modelled the task itself as well as the XML output to match
cvschangelog as closely as possible.  Since then I've basically
stopped working on it completely, I'm more than a bit swamped right
now.

Help is certainly welcome.

> I'll mail Ant to find out when that's likely to find its way into an
> Ant release.

The plan is to have antlibs that get released independent of Ant
itself.  That's what the sandbox is about.  To make that happen, we'll
need more people endorse the sandbox code so that it gets "promoted"
out of the sandbox (very much Jakarta Commons like) and release it.

It's quite possible that the code won't compile against Ant 1.6.5
since I've only worked against CVS HEAD, but that should be "fixable".

Now that Maven 1.1 supports Ant 1.6.x, that ought to be good enough.

Stefan

Re: [VOTE] Migrating to Subversion

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 6/7/05, Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> wrote:

> [...]

I posted to the Ant list to see if anyone had solved this before, but sadly not.

However, it seems to me that it might be solveable. One of the svn
features is that you can get the log in xml format, so an old cvs
changelog in xml goes from:

<changelog>
        <entry>
                <date>2005-05-08</date>
                <time>11:04</time>
                <author><![CDATA[Vincent Massol]]></author>
                <file>
                        <name>downloads.xml</name>
                        <revision>1.17</revision>
                </file>
                <msg><![CDATA[Improved download link that goes
directly to the Cactus download page on Jakarta.]]></msg>
        </entry>
</changelog>

<log>
<logentry
   revision="111117">
<author>vmassol</author>
<date>2005-05-08T11:04:00.000000Z</date>
<paths>
<path action="M">/full/path/to/downloads.xml</path>
</paths>
<msg>Improved download link that goes directly to the Cactus download
page on Jakarta.</msg>
</logentry>
</log>

or something much like that. The obvious differences being a lack of
CDATA and the fact it'll use the login name and not the user's full
name (via /etc/passwd I presume).

The first is probably not a problem, I imagine SVN correctly escapes
its output, and the second seems to be okay as Cactus doesn't show
that data on their changes page
(http://jakarta.apache.org/cactus/changes.html).

So changing the cvschangelog task to be an exec of 'svn log -v --xml',
and modifying the xsl in
documentation/docs/skins/jakarta.apache.org/stylesheets/document2html.xsl
to handle the different style of input, could do the trick.

Still not a piece of cake. Splitting the date, throwing away the
unnecessary parts of the path and handling commits that contain more
than one file are all issues to be handled, and in a functional
language like XSL, they can be oddly painful.

Also, there's no obvious way to exclude the 5 excluded files:

        <exclude name="**/navigation.xml"/>
        <exclude name="sitemap.xml"/>
        <exclude name="participating/todo.xml"/>
        <exclude name="changes.xml"/>
        <exclude name="**/cvslog.xml"/>

Looks like Stefan's svnchangelog task might take care of the 3 issues
I list, and should handle excludes as it's based on the Ant fileset
system.

I'll mail Ant to find out when that's likely to find its way into an
Ant release.

An obvious other suggestion is to comment out the cvs-changelog table
for the site between the period of moving to svn and the period of a
task existing to easily turn it back on again. Or switch to using the
changes.xml style for the site as well and managing it by hand.
Neither highly desirable, but thought I'd bring them up.

Hen

RE: [VOTE] Migrating to Subversion

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

Nope sorry... :-)

-Vincent

> Hen
>
> On 5/27/05, Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com> wrote:
> > Hi Henri,
> >
> > Actually we have enough positive votes to make it happen. However, I've
> just
> > realized that we are using the <cvs> Ant task in our build and I would
> be
> > more comfortable if we had a replacement before going on with the
> migration.
> >
> > I also don't have much time right now to do the migration so I'd suggest
> > holing off a bit while waiting for the <svn> Ant task to be integrated
> into
> > Ant (it doesn't seem to be in Ant 1.6.4). I would rather not have
> builders
> > have to install an additional jar to get an svn task.
> >
> > Would that be fine with everyone?
> >
> > If someone wants to perform the migration please stand up! (that
> involves
> > having a build solution at least as good as what we currently have).
> >
> > Thanks
> > -Vincent

[snip]