Posted to dev@thrift.apache.org by Ralf Kluthe <rk...@discvision.com> on 2010/08/10 11:29:32 UTC

Thrift and java 1.4

Hello.

We want to use thrift on an embedded device for communication
between C++ and java processes. But on the embedded device
only a java VM version 1.4 is available. In this version java generics
are not supported.
Is there any possibility to use Thrift with java 1.4?

Thanks,

Ralf

Re: Thrift and java 1.4

Posted by Fred Potter <fp...@gmail.com>.
Sure, here it is.

Patch:
http://fpotter_public.s3.amazonaws.com/thrift_j2me.patch

Modified Java Runtime:
http://fpotter_public.s3.amazonaws.com/thrift_j2me_runtime.tar

To get the version of Thrift I was using:
svn co -r 684377 http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/thrift/trunk thrift

To apply the patch:
cd thrift
patch -p0 -i /path/to/thrift_j2me.patch

To generate:
thrift -gen java:j2me yourfile

You'll probably want to throw out the TSocket in my modified runtime
and just grab the original TSocket or THttpClient from under
lib/java/src/com/facebook/thrift/transport

Fred

AW: Thrift and java 1.4

Re: Thrift and java 1.4

Posted by Fred Potter <fp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Thrift and java 1.4

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
No. The code generator and library are very much built around generics. I'm
sure that you *could* hack that stuff out, but I don't think it would be
trivial.