Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2010/02/11 06:15:54 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Release Compress Antlib 1.0

Hi all,

I've tagged the current trunk of the compress antlib and plan to build a
release from it and propose a vote.

The Antlib will require Ant 1.8.x and Commons Compress.  Commons
Compress 1.0 is known to have some issues (in particular for the ar and
cpio classes) but I wouldn't want to wait for a new release of it since
there are enough open JIRA issues for it that the next release may be
months away.

Unless anybody stops me I intend to go ahead with the release process
over the next few days.

Stefan

Re: [PROPOSAL] Release Compress Antlib 1.0

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-02-11, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> The Antlib will require Ant 1.8.x and Commons Compress.  Commons
> Compress 1.0 is known to have some issues (in particular for the ar and
> cpio classes) but I wouldn't want to wait for a new release of it since
> there are enough open JIRA issues for it that the next release may be
> months away.

It seems I've been wrong and Commons Compress is developing new
momentum, so I withdraw the propsal and will wait for the next Commons
Compress release.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-02-11, Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I have just done a svn checkout of the compress antlib.

Nice.

> I have 2 first questions :

> - do we really want to run javac with the source and target options
> set to 1.2 ? I see that commons-compress itself requires at least 1.4.

No, 1.4 will be fine.

> - what is the easiest way for lazy people [me for instance] to open
> the compress antlib in eclipse with the dependent jars at a proper
> place so that you can see all imports resolved ?

No idea, sorry, I don't use Eclipse.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2010-02-11, Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Adding a third question : in order to find out where
> commons-compress.jar should be put in the project, I have just tried
> to build the antlib from the command line.
> It looks like the expected way of building is to put
> commons-compress.jar on the classpath before starting ant ?

Yes, this is the same for all antlibs.

> My guess is we want to add an explicit classpath to the <javac target
> ? And also set the attribute includeantruntime="false" to also
> explicitly put the required ant jars on the classpath, as ant 1.8.0
> seems to nag us to do.

This may be a good idea and should go into the common build.xml.

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Adding a third question : in order to find out where
commons-compress.jar should be put in the project, I have just tried to
build the antlib from the command line.
It looks like the expected way of building is to put
commons-compress.jar on the classpath before starting ant ?
My guess is we want to add an explicit classpath to the <javac target ?
And also set the attribute includeantruntime="false" to also explicitly
put the required ant jars on the classpath, as ant 1.8.0 seems to nag us
to do.

Regards,

Antoine

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.