Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Usman Wyne <uw...@yahoo.com> on 2013/11/03 21:53:02 UTC

Jetty run takes 970 MB of memory and runs out of PermGen space

Hi dev community
I apologize upfront if some of these questions would look quite basic, but I am new to Cloud Stack and Open Source Software environment and feel that I need some guidance.

I am following the directions at this site for basic windows compilation

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Setting+up+a+CloudStack+dev+environment+on+Windows

When I reach this step (Step 13)
Build) and I run

mvn -pl :cloud-client-ui jetty:run

I end up with

Exception in thread "Timer-3" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
        at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:14

I am attaching the whole output file just in case you find that useful.
Thanks again for your time and help
Regards
Usman Wyne

Re: Jetty running into an error

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
Have you followed this guide:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/PgvMAQ

[Running a server for test/debug purposes]

Jetty running into an error

Re: Jetty run takes 970 MB of memory and runs out of PermGen space

Posted by Usman Wyne <uw...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks Daan,
That was indeed missed by me. However adding those still did not resolve the problem. Earlier I had run it with the following command line
mvn -DjvmArgs="-Xmx2000m -Xms1000m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m" -pl :cloud-client-ui jetty:run  and still got the same problem.

I somehow feel that it is stuck in an endless loop. I tried it with -X command and it writes the attached almost endlessly
Thanks again for your help
Regards
Usman

You probably forgot the actions at the bottom of step 4:
Modify the following things in eclipse.ini.  The file can be found in
the directory you installed eclipse to.

Change launcher.XXMaxpermSize to 1024m
Add or change to -Xms1024m
Add or change to -Xmx2048m

Posted by Laszlo Hornyak <la...@gmail.com>.
I added this line to my CS build scripts:
export MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx2000m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m"

It works. However, it would be so nice to decrease the memory requirements.

--

EOF

Re: Jetty run takes 970 MB of memory and runs out of PermGen space

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Usman,