Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by runnee <ro...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/23 04:32:40 UTC

Hi I need help for apache james!

Hi guys. I don't know if I am asking in the correct forums but I am
desperately in need of help using this framework as resources are not easy
for me to find.

I have installed Apache James 3 on my Windows 10 64-bit machine.
I also have successfully set up apache james 3 and able to telnet into
127.0.0.1 port25.
So I tested by adding domains and users based on apache james' quickstart
guide.

Everything is successful and working well but now this is another question.
How do I move up a step?

1. I would love to know how do I log in as a user to read the email sent by
another user in the server.
2. I read up on logging in as a root user but there is no way I can find out
how to add a user as I could not find config.xml in beta3 because apache
2.3.2 there is this folder called config.xml to add root users but it can
not be found in beta3.
3. How do I integrate HUPA with apache james?

I am working on making an email server that enable users to be registered by
an administrator. I would love to see a 'live' demo of being able to email
from one user to another user and also logging in to read emails.

I have also tried to extract SVN and building with Eclipse. I have done it
successfully but I do not know how to start james in eclipse. So I am also
stuck here. I see HUPA in Eclipse but I also have no idea how do i start
that.

What should I do next to get my project started? All I see is just Message
received and that is all. I really need some directions for me to move
ahead. Been stuck at this for like 1 week trying out all version of james
and also trying to integrate hupa and james.
I would appreciate it if help is provided as google is not providing me as
much information as I need.

Regards.

Re: Hi I need help for apache james!

Posted by Benoit Tellier <be...@minet.net>.

Le 23/02/2016 12:03, runnee a écrit :
> Hi Benoit! Thanks for the quick reply.
>
>> Which version ? On trunk ? beta 4 ? beta 5 ?
>
> I have tried successfully on 2.3.2, beta4, beta5, but unsuccessful for
> trunk SVN eclipse because Maven doesn't build due to some errors for
> Sieverepository.

Try rm -rf ~/.m2/repositories/org/apachejames

If it persists send the errors logs. And your version of java, and maven.

Build is passing for us using java 6 and java 8 on git master branch
from this repository https://github.com/apache/james-project.git

>> You can do this using the IMAP protocol once your UsersRepository is
> well configured
>
> usersrepository23-template.xml
>
> <importjames23-usersrepository
> class="org.apache.james.user.file.UsersFileRepository">
>
>     <destination URL="file://var/users/" />
>     <ignoreCase>true</ignoreCase>
>     <enableAliases>true</enableAliases>
>     <enableForwarding>true</enableForwarding>
>     <enableVirtualHosting>false</enableVirtualHosting>
>
> </importjames23-usersrepository>

Comment importjames23-usersrepository ... You don't need it

> usersrepository-template.xml

Rename it to usersrepository.xml.

if it is not done, you should get an  error upon James startup...

> <usersrepository name="LocalUsers"
> class="org.apache.james.user.jpa.JPAUsersRepository">
>     <algorithm>MD5</algorithm>
>     <enableVirtualHosting>true</enableVirtualHosting>
> </usersrepository>
>
> I did not do any editing because I have no idea what to do here and where
> to go to. This is my first time using james. Would love to learn more about
> it!
>
>> I don't know. I had a working RainLoop and RoundCube once. It was easy
> to do once IMAP was running.
>
> Oh so I don't have to use HUPA for this case? I could use RoundCube if I
> want to?

Of course. IMAP and SMTP are widely used, RFC defined protocols and are
managed by all the webmail around !

>> Yes, that is not that hard to set up ! Good luck !
>
> Any links or hints on where do I find resources to read for registering of
> users?

Use the command line client :

./james-cli -h 127.0.0.1 -p 9999 ADDUSER btellier@linagora.com

> Regards,

Regards, and good luck figuring this out...

Posted by runnee <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by runnee <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys, with all the problems I have on beta5.. beta4 and 3.. I could not
make a database to store my users and passwords.. So I intend to head back
to using 2.3.2.1

System used: Windows 10 64-Bit..
JDK is currently 6..

This is the phoenix error I have while trying to install 2.3.2.1

INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:22.842 [Phoenix ] (): Logger started
WARN    2016-03-25 17:39:22.854 [Phoenix ] (): Phoenix was not started by
the daemon thus it will not be possible to restart the JVM via the
Management interface.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:22.889 [Phoenix.] (): Work directory does not
exist, attempting to create directory
C:\Users\B\Downloads\james-binary-2.3.2.1\james-2.3.2.1\work.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:22.902 [Phoenix.] (): Installing Sar located at
file:/C:/Users/B/Downloads/james-binary-2.3.2.1/james-2.3.2.1/apps/james.sar.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.664 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that all
key-stores have valid names.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.664 [Phoenix.] (): Verify that any keystore
names used by grant or permission reference actual keystores
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.664 [Phoenix.] (): Verify that if target is
null then actions is null.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.800 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the name
specified for Blocks and BlockListeners are valid.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.801 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the names
specified for Component are valid.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.801 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the names
specified for the Components are unique.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.801 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the
dependency mapping is valid according to ComponentInfos.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.801 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the
dependency mapping for every Component is valid with respect to other
components.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.801 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that there are no
circular dependencies between Components.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.803 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the name
specified for Blocks and BlockListeners are unique.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.803 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the specified
Blocks have valid types.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.826 [Phoenix.] (): Verifying that the specified
BlockListeners have valid types.
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.858 [Phoenix.] (): 20 Blocks to process for
phase "startup". Order of processing = [dnsserver, database-connections,
mailstore, users-store, localusersrepository, spoolrepository, sockets,
thread-manager, scheduler, James, mailetpackages, matcherpackages,
spoolmanager, connections, remotemanager, pop3server, smtpserver,
nntp-repository, nntpserver, fetchmail].
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.901 [Phoenix.] (): Unknown resource. Bundle:
'org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.monitor.Resources' Key:
'scanner.skipping-file.notice' Args:
'C:\Users\B\Downloads\james-binary-2.3.2.1\james-2.3.2.1\apps\james'
Reason: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find resource for bundle
java.util.PropertyResourceBundle, key scanner.skipping-file.notice
ERROR   2016-03-25 17:39:23.911 [Phoenix.] (): Component named
"users-store" failed to pass through the Starting stage. (Reason:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException:
destination>>URL).
ERROR   2016-03-25 17:39:23.912 [Phoenix.] (): There was an error running
phase "startup" for Block named "users-store". (Reason: Component named
"users-store" failed to pass through the Starting stage. (Reason:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException:
destination>>URL).).
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
Component named "users-store" failed to pass through the Starting stage.
(Reason: org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException:
destination>>URL).
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.fail(LifecycleHelper.java:354)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.startup(LifecycleHelper.java:226)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.startup(DefaultApplication.java:530)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.doRunPhase(DefaultApplication.java:478)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.runPhase(DefaultApplication.java:409)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.start(DefaultApplication.java:180)
at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.start(ContainerUtil.java:260)
rethrown from
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException:
destination>>URL
at
org.apache.james.userrepository.UsersFileRepository.configure(UsersFileRepository.java:134)
at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(ContainerUtil.java:201)
at
org.apache.james.core.AvalonUsersStore.initialize(AvalonUsersStore.java:130)
at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.initialize(ContainerUtil.java:244)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleHelper.startup(LifecycleHelper.java:200)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.startup(DefaultApplication.java:530)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.doRunPhase(DefaultApplication.java:478)
rethrown from
java.io.IOException: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax
is incorrect
at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalize0(Native Method)
at java.io.Win32FileSystem.canonicalize(Win32FileSystem.java:396)
at java.io.File.getCanonicalPath(File.java:559)
at java.io.File.getCanonicalFile(File.java:583)
at
org.apache.james.userrepository.UsersFileRepository.configure(UsersFileRepository.java:132)
at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.configure(ContainerUtil.java:201)
at
org.apache.james.core.AvalonUsersStore.initialize(AvalonUsersStore.java:130)
INFO    2016-03-25 17:39:23.914 [Phoenix.] (): exception while
starting:Component named "users-store" failed to pass through the Starting
stage. (Reason:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException:
destination>>URL).

WARN    2016-03-25 17:39:23.956 [Phoenix.] (): Failed to start application
james.
org.apache.avalon.framework.CascadingException: Failed to start application
james.
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.kernel.DefaultKernel.startup(DefaultKernel.java:313)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.kernel.DefaultKernel.addApplication(DefaultKernel.java:376)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.deployer.DefaultDeployer.deploy(DefaultDeployer.java:357)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFile(DefaultEmbeddor.java:542)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFile(DefaultEmbeddor.java:535)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployFiles(DefaultEmbeddor.java:520)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.embeddor.DefaultEmbeddor.deployDefaultApplications(DefaultEmbeddor.java:509)
rethrown from
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.interfaces.ApplicationException: Component named
"users-store" failed to pass through the Starting stage. (Reason:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException:
destination>>URL).
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.application.DefaultApplication.start(DefaultApplication.java:186)
at
org.apache.avalon.framework.container.ContainerUtil.start(ContainerUtil.java:260)
at
org.apache.avalon.phoenix.components.kernel.DefaultKernel.startup(DefaultKernel.java:295)
[...]
WARN    2016-03-25 17:39:23.984 [Phoenix.] (): Error deleting Work
Directory
"C:\Users\B\Downloads\james-binary-2.3.2.1\james-2.3.2.1\work\james-1458898762903".
(Reason: File
C:\Users\B\Downloads\james-binary-2.3.2.1\james-2.3.2.1\work\james-1458898762903\SAR-INF\lib\mailet-api-2.3.jar
unable to be deleted.)
java.io.IOException: File
C:\Users\B\Downloads\james-binary-2.3.2.1\james-2.3.2.1\work\james-1458898762903\SAR-INF\lib\mailet-api-2.3.jar
unable to be deleted.
at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.FileUtil.forceDelete(FileUtil.java:743)
at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.FileUtil.cleanDirectory(FileUtil.java:910)
at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.FileUtil.deleteDirectory(FileUtil.java:866)
at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.FileUtil.forceDelete(FileUtil.java:735)
at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.FileUtil.cleanDirectory(FileUtil.java:910)
at
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.FileUtil.deleteDirectory(FileUtil.java:866)
at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.io.FileUtil.forceDelete(FileUtil.java:735)
WARN    2016-03-25 17:39:24.210 [Phoenix.] (): Failed to stop application
james as it is not initialized/started.

I don't know what is this error I can't figure out..

What I am trying to do is set up james to have its own database to store
users with its own table..

I also followed a guide on https://apachejames.wordpress.com/ but until the
part where it shows postgressql tables.. my tables did not appear at all..

So I am restarting everything.. i deleted every folder.. 2.3.2.1 .. beta3,
beta4, beta5.. everything..

I need to have a direction.. can someone please help? What I am trying to
achieve is..

1. Set up the server
2. Have my own database
3. Integrate roundcube and able to let user log in into the mailbox and
check email..

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks.. and I didn't try to email
and ask for help because I wanted to try to figure out this myself..

But nothing is working out.. I am in need of help.. please help me..

Sorry for the lengthy mail

Posted by Benoit Tellier <bt...@linagora.com>.
Hi Runee

Le 23/02/2016 10:32, runnee a écrit :
> Hi guys. I don't know if I am asking in the correct forums but I am
> desperately in need of help using this framework as resources are not easy
> for me to find.
>
> I have installed Apache James 3 on my Windows 10 64-bit machine.
> I also have successfully set up apache james 3 and able to telnet into
> 127.0.0.1 port25.

Congratulation !

Which version ? On trunk ? beta 4 ? beta 5 ?

> So I tested by adding domains and users based on apache james' quickstart
> guide.
>
> Everything is successful and working well but now this is another question.
> How do I move up a step?
>
> 1. I would love to know how do I log in as a user to read the email sent by
> another user in the server.

You can do this using the IMAP protocol once your UsersRepository is
well configured

> 2. I read up on logging in as a root user but there is no way I can find out
> how to add a user as I could not find config.xml in beta3 because apache
> 2.3.2 there is this folder called config.xml to add root users but it can
> not be found in beta3.

There is no root user. Administration is don threw CLI client.

Also, it depends on your UsersRepository settings. Which one are you
using ? Can you show us your conf/usersrepository.xml file ?

> 3. How do I integrate HUPA with apache james?

I don't know. I had a working RainLoop and RoundCube once. It was easy
to do once IMAP was running.

> I am working on making an email server that enable users to be registered by
> an administrator. I would love to see a 'live' demo of being able to email
> from one user to another user and also logging in to read emails.

Yes, that is not that hard to set up ! Good luck !

> I have also tried to extract SVN and building with Eclipse. I have done it
> successfully but I do not know how to start james in eclipse. So I am also
> stuck here. I see HUPA in Eclipse but I also have no idea how do i start
> that.

You can read the readme and use the docker containers provided by Linagora.

Alternatively, you can unzip the /app/target/apache-james....zip and
start it that way.

> What should I do next to get my project started? All I see is just Message
> received and that is all. I really need some directions for me to move
> ahead. Been stuck at this for like 1 week trying out all version of james
> and also trying to integrate hupa and james.
> I would appreciate it if help is provided as google is not providing me as
> much information as I need.
>
> Regards.

Regards,

Benoit Tellier