Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Mike Williams <md...@bigfoot.com> on 2002/04/07 04:20:23 UTC

[ANN] vDoclet project

vDoclet is an XDoclet-alike tool that uses Velocity.

Primarily, it's a framework for processing Java files using Javadoc, and
generating code (or whatever) using Velocity templates.  It currently
bundles templates for generation of EJB-1.1 artifacts.

You can grab the source from CVS at

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdoclet

vDoclet is in it's very early stages, so there's not a released version
yet, and I'm afraid the documentation is pretty much non-existant at this
point.

--
cheers,
Mike

Re: [ANN] vDoclet project

Posted by Mike Williams <md...@bigfoot.com>.
  >>> On Sat, 6 Apr 2002 21:26:24 -0500,
  >>> "Terry" == "Terry Steichen" <te...@net-frame.com> wrote:

  Terry> I visited your project site.  Don't quite get what it's all about.

Well, the basic idea is that you can add meta-information to your
source-code by means of custom Javadoc tags, and generate stuff as a
result.

You heard of XDoclet?  Well, this is aimed at the same problem.

Sorry ... I'll try to put some doco together tomorrow.

--
cheers,
Mike

Re: [ANN] vDoclet project

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.
Mike,

I visited your project site.  Don't quite get what it's all about.  I'm
frankly too lazy to go through all the samples and figure out what this is
all about via reverse engineering of sorts.  Could you kind of summarize
what this does and when it might be particularly useful?

TIA and regards,

Terry

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: [ANN] vDoclet project

Posted by Mike Williams <md...@bigfoot.com>.
  >>> On Sun, 7 Apr 2002 04:04:23 -0700 (PDT),
  >>> "Konstantin" == Konstantin Priblouda <kp...@yahoo.com> wrote:

  Konstantin> Hmm, I already tried to implement velocity based templates in
  Konstantin> xdoclet.  Nothing advanced, just proof of concept.

Hi Konstantin.  Sounds good.  Keep up the good work.  Is the plan to
re-work all the existing templates to use Velocity, or will it just be an
alternate syntax?

  Konstantin> I suppose you look at xdoclet, and put your work there.

Er, I'd prefer to keep it separate, at least for now.  There are various
ideas I want to experiment with:

  - Using Velocity templates.  Note that this means actually using Velocity
    for all the templating, not just supporting Velocity as an alternative.

  - Test-first design.  I've tried to write unit-tests for features before
    I implement them.  As a result, the EJB object-model at the core of
    vDoclet is fairly robust.

  - Avoiding the named-parameter syntax within tag values.  Sorry, but I
    just dislike it.  So far, I've managed to avoid "structured" tags in
    vDoclet (though I'm yet to tackle the EJB-2.0 relationship issue :-)

For now, since both the tags and templates are different, it's easier for
me to play with this stuff separately, without worrying about XDoclet
legacy.  I wouldn't rule out a merge sometime later, if it seems useful for
both projects.  In the meantime, I'm very happy if you want to borrow
ideas/code from vDoclet ... I've certainly got a bunch of good ideas from
XDoclet!

--
cheers,
Mike

Re: [ANN] vDoclet project

Posted by Konstantin Priblouda <kp...@yahoo.com>.
--- Mike Williams <md...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> vDoclet is an XDoclet-alike tool that uses Velocity.
>

> Primarily, it's a framework for processing Java
> files using Javadoc, and
> generating code (or whatever) using Velocity
> templates.  It currently
> bundles templates for generation of EJB-1.1
> artifacts.
>
> You can grab the source from CVS at
>
>     http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdoclet
>
> vDoclet is in it's very early stages, so there's not
> a released version
> yet, and I'm afraid the documentation is pretty much
> non-existant at this
> point.

Hmm, I already tried to implement velocity
based templates in xdoclet. Nothing  advanced, just
proof of concept.

I suppose you look at xdoclet, and put your work
there.

BTW, xdoclet no more uses javadoc, there is own
xjavadoc tool which is faster and more advanced
than javadoc.

Ther is also work in progress to create GUI that
allows easy tagging of java files, and also formal XML
based descrription of doc tags which would allow
validation and plausibility checking.

I'm crossposting this to xdoclet-devel list....

regards,

=====
Konstantin Priblouda ( ko5tik )    Freelance Software developer
< http://www.pribluda.de > < play java games -> http://www.yook.de >
< render charts online -> http://www.pribluda.de/povray/ >