Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by jithesh <pm...@yahoo.com> on 2008/07/11 08:55:25 UTC

Redeployment Query

Hello Guys..

        I am using geronimo 2.0.0.1 (wasce) for hosting my web application.
During each deployment I have to do the following steps.
1. Stop the war file
2. Uninstall the war file
3. then redeploy the new war file.

      My problem is once I do uninstallation my files which are stored by
the application is lost. The new war file does not contain my new files. Is
there any mechanism to prevent  the files from already deployed war file.
That is I should be able to get the extra files after the new war file is
deployed..

Please give your tips on this..

Regards,
Jithesh

Re: Redeployment Query

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jul 11, 2008, at 12:38 AM, jithesh wrote:

> Thanks for your response...
>
>          My actual problem is in my app, the uploaded images and
> files will
> store in the deployed app directory. If I do a deployment with new
> war file
> the already deployed folder will get deleted (The directory where
> files and
> images are stored also). I want to preserve that folder during each
> redeployment. Just like a overwriting procedure..

As I said, don't do that.  Put the files in an external directory
under var.

If you really want to write an app that lets users modify it by
uploading content, jsps,  viruses, etc into the app itself, I'd look
into the in-place deployment option.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Redeployment Query

Re: Redeployment Query

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jul 10, 2008, at 11:55 PM, jithesh wrote:

> Hello Guys..
>

>        I am using geronimo 2.0.0.1 (wasce) for hosting my web
> application.
> During each deployment I have to do the following steps.
> 1. Stop the war file
> 2. Uninstall the war file
> 3. then redeploy the new war file.
>
>      My problem is once I do uninstallation my files which are
> stored by
> the application is lost. The new war file does not contain my new
> files. Is
> there any mechanism to prevent  the files from already deployed war
> file.
> That is I should be able to get the extra files after the new war
> file is
> deployed..
>

> Please give your tips on this..

Don't have your application modify itself by storing data inside the
application.  Instead, create a data directory for your application in
<geronimo-home>/var/.  I started some documentation on this here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC21/locating-your-application-specific-configuration-files.html

thanks
david jencks