Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/20 16:48:25 UTC

Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?

Hello --

We have a load balanced situation, and we have a JSP that runs and checks
our application to ensure it's up and returns a string that the monitor app
is looking for if all is well.

Repeatedly, that JSP will work, but the site is down because Tomcat hit an
OutOfMemory exception -- but our JSP (which is very small) still runs
through it's process and returns that everything is happy.  Our application
is up, but the 500 error is an OutOFMemory exception.

We need a fool-proof way of knowing that the site is up or not, specifically
so the load balancer will know to stop routing traffic to a server when it's
down, and we can have people taking a look at what happened and bring the
server back online without loss of service from a user perspective.

Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

thanks,
Kim :-)

Re: Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?

Posted by Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com>.
Dan,

True enough, except then those queries would get held as a user session, and
we don't want that -- which is why we have a 'skinny' health.jsp that checks
our app -- and 'should' crash if there are any issues with tomcat or the
application -- but in this case, the main pages were getting out of memory
exceptions, but the skinny health.jsp was running just fine... which it
shouldn't be if there are failures in either Tomcat or the App.

We're using Application Monitor to monitor the app and tomcat JVM instances
as well as the health.jsp response.  But for the load balancer, which only
uses health.jsp, that's what needs to pick up the problem and report
accordingly so the load balancer will take that server out of the load
balanced cluster.

Kim :-)

On 8/20/07, Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A simple cron job that points to a URL using lynx, and greps the
> output for what it should see will do the trick...
>
> Dan
>
> On 8/20/07, Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello --
> >
> > We have a load balanced situation, and we have a JSP that runs and
> checks
> > our application to ensure it's up and returns a string that the monitor
> app
> > is looking for if all is well.
> >
> > Repeatedly, that JSP will work, but the site is down because Tomcat hit
> an
> > OutOfMemory exception -- but our JSP (which is very small) still runs
> > through it's process and returns that everything is happy.  Our
> application
> > is up, but the 500 error is an OutOFMemory exception.
> >
> > We need a fool-proof way of knowing that the site is up or not,
> specifically
> > so the load balancer will know to stop routing traffic to a server when
> it's
> > down, and we can have people taking a look at what happened and bring
> the
> > server back online without loss of service from a user perspective.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to accomplish this?
> >
> > thanks,
> > Kim :-)

RE: Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?

Posted by Br...@thomson.com.

Kim,

You mentiond "fool-proof"... Perhaps a multi-pronged approach is best,
if you have the time and inclination to implement it.

1) Apps can have "issues" for lots of reasons (running out of memory, db
load and/or locks, thread deadlocks, etc, etc.) In lots of cases the
VM/Tomcat are "OK", but the app is not. With this in mind, if you can
get your monitoring software to actually hit the app's core
functionality itself, you can see if the app is responding, no matter if
the VM/Tomcat are OK. Can you get your monitoring software to hit a
non-trivial, non-access-controlled page? Can you get the monitor to
login/logout every so often (say every few minutes)? How about building
a health-check page in the app itself that queries all major resources
like RDBMSs, and full text search engines, and LDAPs, etc and prints out
status for all those? Depending on our access control setup, you can
restrict access to the status page to your monitor (perpahs via IP
address) or simply have that URL innaccessable from the public network.
Also consider your tolerence for slowness. If the site is "up" but
taking 20 seconds to respond, maybe that is "broken." So of the monitor
can check for response times that will help.

2) For the OOME condition, Jeff beat me to it. You can also, for
example, use JMX and an http adapter to query an Mbean for the current
memory state and alert if you are above 90%. The alert can be an email.
This pro-active approach (and a fast response to the alert ;-) means
your app won't get to the point of being unresponsive.

3) Perhaps this is too obvious, but why is the app running out of
memory? Is there a leak or is the number of simultaneous requests too
much? Have you given the app enough headroom in terms of max heap? We've
had apps that just suck memory like nuts and have many simultaneous
users, but if the VM is sized large enough they are happy.

4) For (free) monitoring software that can help with some of this, check
out http://www.nagios.org/. Nagios and Splunk are cool. It is awesome
what this stuff does for the price!

Hope this helps at least a little,

Brian Horblit

Brian D. Horblit
Senior Principal Engineer
Thomson Healthcare

(303) 486-6697
(800) 525-9083 x 6697
www.thomsonhealthcare.com
brian.horblit@thomson.com

Posted by Paul Singleton <pa...@jbgb.com>.
Jeff Hoffmann wrote:
> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>> Dan,
>>
>> Dan Armbrust wrote:
>>> A simple cron job that points to a URL using lynx, and greps the
>>> output for what it should see will do the trick...
>>
>> I would use wget instead of Lynx, but that's just me.
>>
>> Don't forget that the OP said that his JSPs appear to run correctly even
>> after the OOME.
>
> If what you're concerned about is an OOME, you can have a JSP that
> queries the runtime memory usage and outputs something easily parsable
> to alert you to a (pending) problem.  IE:
>
> Runtime rt = Runtime.getRuntime();
> double used = rt.totalMemory()-rt.freeMemory();
> double free = rt.freeMemory();
> double available =  rt.maxMemory()-rt.totalMemory();
> double usedpercent = (used/rt.maxMemory()) * 100;
> double freepercent = (free/rt.maxMemory()) * 100;
> double availablepercent = (available/rt.maxMemory()) * 100;

Thanks for this - is there a similar (or any) way to
anticipate "out of PermGen"?

Paul S.

Re: Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?

Posted by Jeff Hoffmann <je...@propertykey.com>.

--
Jeff Hoffmann
Head Plate Spinner

Re: Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?

Posted by Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Singleton <pa...@jbgb.com>.
Kim

Do you have reason to believe that the OutOfMemory exception
is due to:

  * some cumulative effect (e.g. memory leak), in which case
    you need to restart, preferably (just) before it happens

  * the qty of active sessions, so you need to load-balance
    when near some threshold (offload to a less busy server
    iff poss else "please come back later")

  * the complexity of some user's request, in which case your
    app isn't really "down" at all...

Paul

Kim Albee wrote:
> Tracy,
>
> The JSP does a call to a method in our app -- which if it runs, that means
> the app is up and available -- the method does a simple query against the DB
> and then returns a status of OK if the method runs through just fine.
>
> In our example from this weekend -- the health.jsp (which is the one that
> does this check) ran and returned a good result, but the main
> index.jspreturned the 500 error with the OutOfMemory exception.  So
> that is what is
> confusing here.
>
> thanks,
> Kim :-)
>
> On 8/20/07, Nelson, Tracy M. <Tr...@nelnet.net> wrote:
>> How is your JSP checking your application?  Are you issuing a request to
>> your app and checking the HTTP status?  If so, why isn't it recognizing
>> the 500?  Or is the JSP in your application which is failing?

Paul Singleton
Jambusters Ltd

tel: 01782 750821
fax: 08707 628609
VAT: 777 3904 85
Company no. 04150146

Re: Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?

Posted by Peter Stavrinides <p....@albourne.com>.
In what context?? over the network?, over the web?, on the server?

There is a portion of the shell script used in a Linux implementation
for Tomcat 5.5 that checks for the running process:

if start-stop-daemon --test --start --pidfile "$CATALINA_PID" \
                --user $TOMCAT5_USER --startas "$JAVA_HOME/bin/java" \
                >/dev/null; then

                if [ -f "$CATALINA_PID" ]; then
                    echo "$DESC is not running, but pid file exists."
                    exit 1
                else
                    echo "$DESC is not running."
                    exit 3
                fi
        else
                echo -n "$DESC is running with Java pid "
                cat "$CATALINA_PID"
                exit 0
        fi

Posted by Smith Norton <sm...@gmail.com>.
No

Posted by Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com>.
Everyone --

thanks for all the ideas and feedback.

We've attempted to take the approach with our health.jsp to check the major
functions in our application -- so if we can do a database request, that
checks a bunch of things - and returns without error lets us know that our
application is functioning.  We figured that since it was running through
Tomcat (as a .JSP) that tomcat would have to be up to have the page
respond... so we didn't worry about Tomcat itself.  Should we?

In this instance the health.jsp continued to work and report all was good,
while the main index.jsp got an OutOfMemory exception.

If I query the runtime memory, will that have caught the exception happening
in in the index.jsp?  So if I check the available memory or percentage and
it's lower than whtever threshhold we establish, then we could return a
'down' condition... would that be a solid way to catch any further memory
errors?

We use a monitoring tool that has the automated checks for the application
JVM and we can set different threshholds there -- but I've got to be able to

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Does anyone have an approach to checking if Tomcat instance is UP?

Posted by Kim Albee <mt...@gmail.com>.
Tracy,

Posted by "Nelson, Tracy M." <Tr...@nelnet.net>.